Rebuild questions

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chevyryder, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Chevyryder

Chevyryder New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    I have a stock 76 350 out a camera i plan on putting a crain 224/232-degree duration cam have a th350 transmission 373 grars and 2 in half inc long tube headers trying to figure out what size torque converter do I need and whats some decent heads have stock 882 right now trying to get about 350 -400 hp out her

2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Cam mfr site should indicate what rpm stall you will require. That is a fairly aggressive cam for a rather low compression 350. The Vortec heads are tough to beat and their 64 cc chambers will up your compression. The downside is that the cam has likely too much lift for stock Vortec springs. ( .450 lift is about the max). There is an awesome thread on this site all about Vortec heads. If you are using a header much larger than 1 5/8 " primary that is likely too large for the rest of your engine.

3. Chevyryder

Chevyryder New Member

Sep 27, 2017
  4. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Lubbock, Texas USA
    Never saw a camera with a gas engine in it. The autowinders I've had were all equipped with electric motors for film advance.

Is it too much trouble to at least learn how to spell the name of the car you drive???

Rdobbs1977 likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
  6. Chevyryder

Chevyryder New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    It's ok there's always a little boy somewhere needing attention

7. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    ah i've seen things spelled all kinds of ways and always get a little chuckle from time to time. in this case i know it was just a typo on the op part but it got me to thinking. See a lot of people spell it 'camero.' once met a guy who spoke about an 'el camaro.' guess he had a one of a kind car there:)

ya 882 heads are grotesque, yuck. when you buy a head just make sure you pay attention to the max CFM on them and the flow rates at each Lift. Cam should be the last thing you buy unless you've blueprinted everything and know whats what.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    THEE most common mistake with cams is TOO MUCH cam for the engine (given the heads, intake, carburetor, and exhaust) and the transmission. I've been there, done that, and HATED IT!

Your expectations of a 350 to 400 hp engine are not real world without rebuilding the short block with higher compression pistons + good rods + balancing the rotating assembly.

You're going to find that your motor is not going to like a "big lumpy cam" as 1) it doesn't have the pistons/compression/dome height to make good use of a big cam, 2) your heads DEFINATLEY won't work with it as they're NOT performance heads (no screw in studs, spring pockets are small, and valves are small), and 3) that's too much cam for an street driven automatic transmission vehicle.

My opinion, look at the Edelbrock Performer cam kits (or Isky, or Crower) flat tappet hydraulic cam kits for that motor are your best bet.

As for Vortec heads, you'll need a new intake to go with them. Scoggin & Dicky ( https://sdparts.com/ ) sell heads + intake kits that will fit your needs but they aren't cheap!

Remember: horsepower takes cubic dollars to make! Less is more.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I'm curious, what is the actual cam make and part number? But I'd get into a new set of modern heads and intake before anything else, really killing that motor with stockers. That rear gear with the auto trans is probably a pretty good setup for everyday performance, not so hot on the freeway.

10. brownbigblock454

brownbigblock454 Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Ohio