Rear trunk/frame rails

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by R.Jones, Feb 3, 2019.

1. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Thanks for taking the pics!!! Gives me an idea for what to expect. Where did you say you got it from?! They didnt do a very good job on the spot welds on passenger side on the rail to the pan.

2. lightly-modded

lightly-modded New Member

I got mine from classic industries. As far as spot welds on it go, they may not be pretty or spaced evenly, or even straight, but that is basically factory standard for our cars. I will say it has at least as many and in most spots more welds than the parts I am taking out. I will be stitch welding the seams of the frame rails and panel transitions, but I'm doing that to the entire car. Nothing wrong with leaving it as is.

R.Jones likes this.
  3. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Im sure they tried to put as few spot welds as the could on the original panels. How hard was to do the rocker panel?

4. lightly-modded

lightly-modded New Member

For me the rocker wasn't too bad, but I'm only saving the inner quarters and inner cowl panel. Everywhere else it attaches (floor, firewall, etc.) I was able to just cut off with a sawzall or cut off wheel since I'm not saving them anyways. You can see the driver's side rocker in the background of the 4th picture. It's a full rocker including the door jam.

R.Jones likes this.
  5. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

My outer rockers are good..the only thing is i might have to repair my inners once i cut out the floor...actually my trunk pan isnt really bad its just the out part by the dropoffs isnt very good and the passenger rail is busted. The drive was repaired back in the day with a replacemet 69 rail. The cobbled up feel of the car bugs me...from the front of the back seat to behind the rear of the seat is out of a 79 all the way across the car because my torque boxes and frame was rotted...no replacement parts back in the early 90s.

6. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Itll need toe boards to.

7. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

NPD one piece rails are pretty good. I had to tweek for sure but they are heavier guage than factory and fit not too bad.

R.Jones likes this.
  8. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Can anyone tell me about Golden star panels.? My local restoration world here in dayton has alot of stuff for my 72 but alot is golden star. They had the one piece floor pan in stock. Guy said he can get me whatever manufacturer I want on any panel

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

I think you will run the risk of a not so perferct panel from just about any manufacturer.
    The cheaper the panel it seems the more it will have fitment issues. Just prepair yourself for tweeks to them.

70ZED and R.Jones like this.
  10. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Anyone have an issues with the crossrail panels from amd?!