Rear trunk/frame rails

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by R.Jones, Feb 3, 2019.

1. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Hello folks. I have a 72 camaro that has been in my family since new and im looking for some advice. I need frame rails in the rear pass side is busted drive side was repaired back in the day with a 69 rail. I noticed that they are now producing one piece trunk pans with the rails welded on.
    Was wondering if anyone here has had experiance with them? Fitment issues?
    The trunk pan is really not that bad some rust pitting here and there...worset areas is by the drop offs. Im in the process of building a body cart/jig. Would ot be easier to do the pan and then put the rails in or just put the one piece pan rail assembly...help!! Lol

2. lightly-modded

lightly-modded New Member

I can't comment on fitment yet as it is still sitting on my garage floor, but it looks to be decent quality. I bought mine from classic industries. I need to finish the drivers side full rocker (already did passenger's side) as well as the full floor plan before I do the trunk pan/rear frame rails section. If there are any parts of it that you want to see I can take pics.

R.Jones likes this.
  3. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

The one piece trunk pan will not fit through the trunk opening. I must be cut in half (or other cut) to fit in.
    If you are replaceing the rails then MAYBE you could slide it in from under. but I have not done the rails replacement.

might as well get new drop offs as well.

On mine I needed to do the taillight panel as well so it was all off for my install.

R.Jones likes this.
  4. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Im doing the tail pan and full quarters.

5. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

should be fine for a full trunk pan and drop off install!

R.Jones likes this.
  6. lightly-modded

I'm replacing everything you listed and more. My thought was with everything coming off it would be easier aligning one big piece than multiple pieces. Getting the complete trunk pan/rail unit does make shipping much more expensive though.

7. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

It seems that the one piece rear section would make it less work than buying each part seprate and then having to weld them all together under the car. Did you frame jig the car? Any pics on here?!

8. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

Hows the look or quality of the section? Most of the pics i see of them have massive wrinkling in the trunk panel.

9. lightly-modded

I did not make a jig as there was/is nothing I trust on my car to mount to. I basically bought a car made out of rust, bondo, and previous owners good intentions. I did weld in bracing inside the car and I took 3 pages of measurements, basically covering every axis of every panel. I do intend to create a build thread just haven't had a chance. I'll take some pictures when I can get out in the garage, works been crazy so it might not be until the weekend.

R.Jones likes this.
  10. lightly-modded

I ran out to the garage as soon as I got out of work and took a few picks. Ignore the streaks, I tried to quickly clean some of the dust off. I took pics from the top and bottom, and tried to get close ups of any wrinkles since you brought it up earlier. There is some around the fuel filler bump and some at the base of the driver's side shock mount hump (scratches on the shock humps were caused by me, but they will be cut out for the mini tubs anyways).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R.Jones likes this.