Rear headliner trim screw holes are wallowed out - looking for ideas to fix

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 76_TypeLT, Feb 9, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    For some reason the holes for the rear headliner trim screws are wallowed out too much, which I should have fixed a long time ago. But it is what it is, so I am thinking of a few ideas to fix this issue so I can use the factory-style screws.

The idea I am running with now is to cut a small rectangular piece of 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal and attach it over each of the slot locations. Then I could hold the trim piece in place and mark where the new screw holes need to be drilled. This seems like the most logical approach, but attaching the metal is where I am stuck. I could use some small sheet metal screws to hold the patch in place. Or I could use some sort of adhesive. There isn't a lot of torque on the trim screws, so I don't need to over-engineer it.

What are some ideas you have for this?

2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    Are the holes on the trim wallowed out so the screw fall through? An I don't have the trim in front of me is it metal or plastic? Maybe throw up a pic of the wallowed holes. I may have an idea but want to see what it is also. I may just have to get back to you on my idea this afternoon.

Update- I will look at my trim pieces then send you my ideas if you haven't found anything or give you more options

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    A Nutsert? But there for machine screws. Unless there are some for a corse screw?? Otherwise you'll have to do what you said, glue a sm tab.

4. joselk1

joselk1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Waterford, MI
    Glue in a piece of wooden dowl....

5. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Niceville, Florida
    JB Weld? (Fill the original hole completely, then drill it out slightly smaller than the screw.)

6. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    This is what I was thinking. Or you could possibly use some solder and use a rat tail file to smooth out.

7. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    Friggin headliner heaches right Aaron lol

When will it ever end!!

8. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This is also on my list and might be as effective a solution with less work. The headliner trim screws are not under much pressure, so I think it would work. I was thinking the JB Weld epoxy putty product since that would stay in place. The stuff gets HARD and sticks well.

I might try one of the wallowed out slots (there are 4 total) and see how it goes.

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    It will end when I say it ends! :D

I should have checked on these screw slots a long time ago. The front slots are fine so I am not sure how the back ones got so messed up.

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi Aaron,
    my vote would be the JB weld idea, much easier