rear end whine..

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 71RS6SPD, Oct 7, 2017.

1. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I've been waiting for my drive shaft.. it was new but I just bought new moly yokes with larger 1350 ujoints. It also looks like it has to be a little shorter for the larger rear yoke and u-joints. Going to install pinion later today, set carrier preload and check pattern - hoping pinion depth is OK as I have no way to pull bearing. I purchased an inch-pound t wrench and have a new crush collar and nut. I have also added two 4 degree shims on each side (top/bottom) to correct pinion angle and removed one leaf from springs. They were way too stiff and it also kept the spring stack a similar height and allowed me to retain the ISO pads. I also switched the J-bolts to ubolts on the lakewood traction bars.

2. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Over last winter put in a new tko 600 and a 3.73 gear. After 700 to 800 miles started to get a whine. The whine occurred with light acceleration and would go away when coasting in gear. Got louder and was apparent from 3 gear to 5th gear. Drove it a lil more checking fluids and stuff. Ended up being the pinion too deep and started to scallop the ring on the drive side /outside of ring. Gas on -whine/gas off no whine. Hope this helps.

3. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Yes it helps as those are my exact symptoms. Thanks for posting it!

4. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I removed the housing and brought it to a local shop. Guy really knows what he's doing (my third stop). He recommended a true track and I have read about it already and like it. So I'm getting a new true track diff, 30 spline axles and bearings and setup.. Prob about 1k with labor. Can't wait to smoke the tires again!

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think the tru-trac is working well for my car for the road course and autocross, but for the life of me it doesn't go straight on a take-off like at the strip. I rather have a POSI

6. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I have heard others say the TruTrac doesn't go straight on launch. My clutch posi always threw my rear to the right. My Strange Engineering version of the TruTrac (35 spline S-Trac) does not move the rear anywhere but straight when I pound on it. I'll never go back to a clutch posi after this. The S-Trac is sweet. It acts like an open rear during normal driving. As soon as you hit the throttle it hooks up immediately and lays two black stripes straight ahead.

7. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Most of my setup is for road manners and cornering. If it does not launch straight it will not be too big a deal for me but will try traction bar adjustment. The closest track is many hours away although I hope to get there to see if I can break into the high 11's. Will probably need slicks though. The roads around here are smooth and I love the highway ramps. They are close by and I travel a few of them almost every time I drive the car. After the 700 miles on it so far I have started to push the cornering limit - I am looking forward to see if i can detect any difference with the new diff. The fat sway bars are pretty amazing.. flattest cornering car I have ever been in. I still need to dial in the rear brake bias - I have reduced it but there is still too much rear brake. The wilwood brakes do feel better than in my c5.

8. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    It's now up to 1150 with new carrier, pinion and axle bearings, seals, moser 30 spline axles with 1/2" studs and the true track diff with labor. Not a bad price. I also spent 550 on the drive shaft with chrome molly yokes. With the new corrected pinion angle maybe the drive train is finally all Set! Hope so. In 700 miles I have not gone over 80 mph yet due to the vibes.

9. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    That's going to be nice!

10. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Received all the parts and have the rear end installed again. I was able to remove and install without dropping the leafs. The caliper brackets got a little bent when I got it back. Discovered this when the calipers would not install.. a pry bar took care of it. Seems like the axles are slightly longer. Luckily the TA sliding calipers just covered it.. about 1/8". The pads are real aggressive metallic and are already worn a little. I hope thicker shoes will fit later. True track is strange.. spin one wheel and the other spins the other direction. The pinion was in way too far.. Shim was 036 now is 024. Guess I should go easy for a bit for the gears to mesh again. At least I no longer need posi additive. He did say if it still makes noise. "at least it will not blow up" not the most promising endorsement but in effect, maybe a warranty against failure.