rear end whine..

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 71RS6SPD, Oct 7, 2017.

1. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Just an FYI, there were a lot of defective rear axle gaskets floating around in the 90's that blocked the axle oil holes and led to burned up bearings. I just found one in my Seville this year that I changed in the 90's and I suspect my bearings because they are growling. Possible those bad gaskets were around in the 80's too. Did your gasket have the oil holes covered?

2. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. The only gasket I can think of in the rear end is the cover gasket. What are rear axle gaskets?

3. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I've been searching and reading and found this on Amazon: "
    STEELMAN 97202 Wireless ChassisEAR Diagnostic Device Kit"
    I think I can for sure locate the source of this whine and other noises with it. Seems like a good investment to me. Probably going to order it today after a little more similar product research.

4. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I ordered it.. should have it Tuesday

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    We have one at the shop. Works great. Just don't trust the magnets, and use zip ties to secure the transmitters.

6. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    will do thanks!
    TT LS sounds awesome! LS1?

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    LS3 block and head castings, Callies rotating assembly. I need to update my build thread when I get time.

8. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I received the kit an hour ago. Installed the batteries in the four sensors and receiver. Attached one sensor to the front of trans, one to rear, the third near pinion yoke and the 4th on the side of the pumpkin. I lowered the car to 2" off the ground and started it on the jack stands. Went into 5th gear and up to 50 mph. -- Awesome tool. It's in the rear end! NICE! Much cheaper than a trans rebuild. Next step is to put all 4 sensors on the rear and see if I can tell. Sensors 3 and 4 sound very similar so it may not tell me any more. But the tool did it's thing! Will be using it more later for other minor noises. The pinion mesh patten is questionable on the accell side - my research showed it was a good 'competition setup' - not my intention. Will post picts of mesh pattern tonight - maybe you guys could tell me what you think..

Thanks for your help.

9. 71RS6SPD

71RS6SPD Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2016
  10. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    That pattern doesn't look too good. I'd recheck the pinion depth and set up the backlash again.