rear disc brake e brake options?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Jimmac, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    just bought a 12 bolt for my chevelle, it has a bracket bolted to the ends and stock single piston front calipers bolted to it. that leave me without a E brake option.
    Is there a bolt in replacement caliper that is the same as a front caliper but with a integral E brake? thanks.
    jim

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    1979-81 Trans Am and other 4 wheel brake GM cars

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    You will be disappointed with the GM calipers. The e-brake mechanism is just to pass a safety inspection. They don't actually hold the car. At least you will be able to get it inspected but don't expect a real parking brake. I am going to switch to front calipers someday since the e-brake will never save me anyway.

4. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    my car is a 4 speed and it's nice to be able to put it in neutral and work on it without having to block the wheels.
    So does the ta rear caliper bolt on a front caliper mount? jim

5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm running the S10 rear disc brakes on mine. The e-brake works really well, if I forget to release it before trying to drive away the car doesn't want to move. I pulled all the hardware from a local pull-a-part, it was pretty inexpensive. I used the S10 e-brake cables that I pulled from the junkyard and tied them to the factory cable where they join under the car.

Zstar likes this.
  6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    just pulled it all off the rear. sticking with drums in back.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ummm, no. The 79 TA tear disc caliper parking brake does to work if you set it up right and maintain it.

8. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    If they are like the Cadillac calipers the setting up and maintaining gets old very fast. I can't type my 20 years of dealing with them and several new calipers. The fact that you have to use the park brake all the time to keep the brakes adjusted just pisses me off. They work awesome on the lift and nobody can move a wheel with the e brake on, but on the ground the car will roll away. I can adjust it so tight that they barely release (tighter than spec) and the wheel is locked solid. Put it on the ground and it will roll away, pretty weird.

I have an Acura with new rear calipers that don't adjust by themselves. I need to research the tricks to make those things work too. If I have to use the park brake all the time I'm going to blow a gasket. The rear discs with the e brake shoes on the inside are the best of both worlds to me. I will look into the S10 setup for my
    Camaro if I get ambitious in a couple years

hate to disagree with badazz though, he is always spot on.

It looks like Jimmac won't get to feel my pain lol.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I used the 79 Trans Am calipers, I have a habit of always setting the parking brake in all my vehicles. Scarebird also sells some updates stuff for these brakes might be worth checking out.

10. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    I may just bolt the disc setup on a 12 bolt I'm planning on selling. might get more interest, or scare potential buyers. jim