rear defroster 70-78 ...

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by ThumperZ28, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ThumperZ28

ThumperZ28 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Oceanside,California
    does anyone know who makes a reproduction of the
    70-78 rear defroster ???

I cant find anything on this

or any other model type that carried the same type rear defroster, I doubt GM made that rear defroster for he 70-78 Camaro only, Im certain they put it on other models too who would I go to for to look that up.

2. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nobody reproduces them. Best bet is to watch ebay---the '70 defogger (blower) was completely different from the later years.

GM used the same blower with the same style rectangular grill on the large Chevy's (Impala, Caprice, etc...). The Camaro blower HI/OFF/LO toggle switch is unique to our cars, you will have to get one of those from a Camaro.

I've seen NOS kits on ebay sell for as little as $99.00...and that included all of the correct wiring, the switch. Maybe check with hoov81...he might be able to hook you up

[​IMG] TIP: Summer is a good time to buy one...nobody thinks much about them during the hot months

<edit> Check for units from the Chevelles and Novas too...like I said, you'll need the Camaro switch, but the blower unit is the same and looks like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Living in CA... Do u really need one? They do "ugly up" the rear deck real well.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    ^ nothing like blowing dirt air from the trunk on the rear window . they are needed in the colder climates . who drives a 30 year old car in the winter . . my 73 ws originally sold from a dealer in long beach California ( harbor Chevy ) . its in NY right now . its a high option car but it has no rear window defogger . and what CD says makes sense . if the car was destine for a socal dealer it really wouldn't need it . it does have A/C though .

5. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    I have a couple of those in my collection of parts. If you still want one, PM me and I will get one out for you.

6. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

May 22, 2002
    Indianapolis, IN
    It doesn't work that way at all. The blower only recirculates the cars cabin air and is completely sealed from the inside of the trunk. Let me explain---take a look at the pic I posted above. See the round hole on the shroud? That side fits over the top of the blower wheel---that's your intake. The air exits through the other side with the "diamond" shaped hole, through the side of the grill with the tri-directional slats.

It's not necessarily a "winter car" option either...it comes in real handy on those cooler rainy days where you're not moving fast, your breathing paired with humidity and the temps fog the glass, and it's raining hard enough that you can't roll the windows down to move air. That blower actually moves a lot of air---you will feel significant air movement up front with the blower set on high.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    ^ that's what AC is for .. nothing dehumidifies like ac . just blend a little warm air if its too cold . all i remember is that there was always a dirt spot on the window where the blower discharged on the cars ive had with them back in the day . none were camaros though .

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. My 73 draws the air from under the back seat..... that "dirt spot on the window"........old farts from the rear passengers! :)

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Now that is funny!

10. Matt69406

Matt69406 New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Do you still have any of these? I need the '70 vent. I have everything except the vent. Thanks in advance.