rear axle measurements

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by LoweRider, Dec 23, 2017.

1. LoweRider

LoweRider Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    I am looking at replacing the axles in my 10-bolt in the near future to handle the power my LS swap will put out.

I have an 81 Z28, and was curious if maybe somone had all of the axle measurements needed to order custom ones, unless for some reason axle lengths/dimensions varied.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Why do you need custom axles? Are you changing the housing from stock?

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    The 2nd gen axles are 30 1/8 inches long. Some measure them at 30 1/16, but the same thing.

4. LoweRider

LoweRider Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    I saw that the direct fit ones from moser are made of 1514H and the custom ones are made of 1550. just want whatever is stronger, thinking it's the 1550 seeing as the cost is higher. I read this article and was thinking of doing the same thing since it's not too bad of a price for a 10-bolt upgrade. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/build-bulletproof-gm-10-bolt-axle-built-c-clip-eliminator/

appreciate the info

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Make sure you post up when the new bullet goes in!!!

Smart thinking changing the axles, especially if you add a stickier tire at some point.
    Eliminating the clips & welding up/bracing the housing is an excellent safety feature.

6. LoweRider

LoweRider Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    a good read. I'll definitely be having that done as well

It's going to be about a month or so before it happens, just wanted to get all the measurements needed. I'm going to be putting 275/40/17 MT Street S/S tires in the rear

7. LoweRider

LoweRider Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    I got in contact with someone at Strange to make my axles, he's saying the stock length is 29.75", will these work? I need a 2.5" offset to use the drum kit I found for the late ford housing ends if that matters

or maybe I should just fill this out instead.. Anyone by chance know any of the other info I might need before sending it off?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  8. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Why are you using Ford parts? The Moser 7900 housing ends take the Ford axle bearings but use the GM brakes. The stock length for the 2nd gen axles is 30 1/8 inches. If you subtract the length of the c clip button then it will be shorter.

You can also use the Strange H1143 ends, but I like the Moser ends much better.

9. LoweRider

LoweRider Member

Jun 26, 2017
    TX, USA
    Those moser ends do look like a better option. I'll use those instead so I can save money on buying a new brake kit.

So the 29.75" should be okay since I won't be using the c clips?