rear axle end play

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by phat80, Mar 6, 2018.

1. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Today when I was taking the rear wheel of the car I noticed I have what I would consider excessive end play in the axle. I've tried doing searches on the forum here but the search engine just takes the first word of the query string, so that didn't work.

If anyone has a suggestion as to the cause/cure or can direct me to a post that would be greatly appreciated.

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    How much do you consider excessive? Pulling on the wheel makes it look much worse than pulling on the axle...

Could be worn c-clips, worn clutches (if it's a posi) or nothing to worry about.

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    thanks Holland. I had the wheel off the car, so I was moving the axle. It is a posi rear end. The only thing I can thing of that would allow movement in that system is a worn C clip, but one would think if it was that worn it would fall out.

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Worn clutches in the position will provide more space for lateral movement.

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    There are also thicker c-clips you can buy to help take up space. Take off rear dif cover and measure between the end of axle and the cross pin in carrier. You can most likely fit a .175 c-clip in versus your stock .150 if there is that much clearance. There is a video from Tom differentials that states he prefers to take it down to .005 clearance between axle button and cross pin. I think factory specs are .008-.025 clearance.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Is the seal leaking or look wet? The C clips should not just fall out B/C the Pinion shaft won't let it move in that far. I would hope not. I would pull the cover and check for any bits of metal. My Camaro had real bad tires when it got here so Air leaked out all the time in a couple days. The left rear would go flat and sometimes I let it sit for a week. The lube leaked out the seal. I know it needs a good over haul.

7. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    do you know where or who makes them?

8. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    In a case like this it is almost always worn clutches that cause the problem. You need to replace the clutches or shim them. Using a thicker c clip is just putting a band aid on the problem. Worn clutches also causes excess clearance in the differential gears, which will make them weaker.

9. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
  10. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland