Rear Axle and Tires

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by seth.holborow1, Jun 20, 2016.

1. seth.holborow1

seth.holborow1 New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have a 77 Camaro base model with 295/50/R15 tires and I'm trying to get my tires to spin (power braking it) just to be able to smoke them. I attempt to spin them but my RPMs lock up at 1,500 and they don't spin. I had the car in 3rd gear as well as trying in 1st gear (hoping it throws traction control off) (Does this car have a traction control? If so will 1st gear disable it?) I don't want to constantly put strain on the transmission, but I also want them to spin. I can not brake them lose even with water, water/soap, etc. Any ideas on things I need to change/upgrade at all? I think it may be a problem in the rear axle because it may not push enough power for the tire size?? Also, why do my RPMs lock at 1,500? thank you, I will post the stats on my car as it could help to identify a problem or something. I know the engine didn't have much HP to begin with, but with everything added to the car it should be close to enough to be able to spin the wheels, right? Thank you for all the time and help!

305 engine (104,000 Miles)
    -possibly rebuilt because engine has been repainted
    -slightly larger cam
    -slight upgrade on headers
    -dual Flowmaster Exhausts
    -1406 Edelbrock Carburator
    -Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
    -recent tune up
    -new drivetrain belt

Rear Wheels/Axle
    -I believe the rear axle is the same (as for the gear ratios and everything)
    -Rear Tires: 295/50/R15

Transmission
    -TH350 Transmission (Nothing done to it as far as I know)

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    No, traction control didn't exist until cars became computers.

You won't likely get a 305 to spin 295-50 tires with any gearing combination unless you are on ice. Deeper gearing might help a bit, but not much.
    To spin that size tire on a heavy car, you need torque, and torque comes with cubic inches. A larger engine will do it, but a 305 will struggle trying. A manual tranny would help, but the auto is limited with this combo.

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I say you car has the 273 or 241 rear end or what every, may even be a posi. Hard for any car to turn tires over with those gears. Those are big tires , a 305 has almost as much power as a 350 at that low of rpm, When you say rpm locks up,do you mean that you can't get it to go at least to 5000 rpm setting still, in nuturel?

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Stock torque converter...
    It won't let your engine get up into the higher torque range to break tires loose when they have such a large contact area.

5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    You may be pushing on the brake pedal too hard. Your rear brakes must be working really well!

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Yup the rear brakes aren't burnt up yet. I would think wide tires should spin fairly easy on wet roads. I think the problem is in the timing. I would verify that it is in the normal general range of 10-12 initial and 32-36 total vacuum advance hooked to manifold vacuum and maybe tweak it from there. Make sure the engine has good vacuum too; it could be a spray can rebuild.