real 70 z-28 or not

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by creeker70, Jun 4, 2013.

1. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You may believe what you like.

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    blame it on the assembly line worker . did you ever work on a automobile assembly line to make that statement ? it sounds like you know . its called a gang stamp as far as any indented stamps . they are all in line . all blocks had a date cast on them back then ( raised ) . if it was required , it would be there . if it wasn't , there was a department called salvage , where stuff was destroyed and recycled .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  3. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    partial vin stamp

I did find on the back of my engine block where the casting date should of been but has been smoothed off with a die grinder for what ever reason. but ive seen other images of the partial vin above the oil filter on norwood engines that were double stamped even tripled stamped improperly and not even straight mind you and these are legit numbers match engines. I talked to both former owners of my z-28 and they swear that this is the original block for this car they have no reason to lie. I know that the vin on the pad was restamped by a machinist after decking the block with the orig. vin that was on there before maching the decks. there is no way the partial vin was restamped by the oil filter you would be able to tell that by the finish of the block which by the way is grainy and rough those are the orig. stamped vin numbers done on the assembly line but obviously the worker didn't use the proper gang stamp for what reason I don't know. like I said ive seen other images of partial vins stamped in the same locationthat aren't in a straight line or double or triple stamped and these are legit documented numbers match z-28 engines or I guess there all fakes and restamped like mine. gimme a break:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Not trying to get in the middle of this debate, but just for the record...... I grew up working in my fathers wrecking yard and saw many engines that were in the car that they were "born with" and there were a suprising amount that the stamped numbers looked just like this.

But I have no idea why the casting numbers would have been ground off. :bowtie:

One way to end the debate is to have the block X-rayed to find the original numbers, then there is no doubt one way or the other.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    thank you at least theres somebody out there that agrees with me about the numbers or vins being stamped improperly. it does or did happen on the assembly line. but the casting number being deburred off is another issue. and x-raying the block could solve this puzzle. anyway thanks for the help and info guys this website is awesome for anybody wanting to learn about there 2nd gen. z-28 history etc. l learned a lot from u guys thx and I will keep u posted.:bowtie: :bowtie: :bowtie:

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    how many years did you work at a gm factory ? i did for 10 . what and how would it be done ? you must have some sort of theory behind what you say . the stamp is there in his hand why wouldn't he use it . don't forget the motor is moving as he is stamping it , its not standing still . so you are saying the worker takes each individual die number and hits it with a hammer , then goes and gets another die number and hits it and so on . the motor would be so far down the line when he was done he could never catch up for the next job . one thing you must remember , the line stops for nothing or anyone ... you only have a certain amount of time to do your job until you are in the next jobs area or station ( 60 seconds ) . if you wanted disiplinary action taken against you , go hit the red button beacause your fading down the line .. give me a break . excuses , please ! lets see what you do have , a ground down date code and a crappy stamp .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    While I would normally now not tolerate anything you say twozs, since the dash pad adventure, I have to agree with you on this one.

Someone has restamped and ground off important data from his block for some unknown reason.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    ^ditto^ ALL the stamps were in a gang stamp holder. Worst case if a stamp # was worn out then next one could be larger which I've seen in on the VIN stamp pad.

Flint engine plant stamp
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I'm over it , how about you ? i don't take anything on here personal . ive lost my share of battles in my 14 years here . and in those 14 years ive never see a stamp like that ( well , i have but they were dismissed as fake ) .

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I never agreed to losing anything in that discussion. And one day, I'll be vindicated. ;)

In this case, there is ample evidence that someone has tampered with the block. It was still a great deal at $3K.