real 70 z-28 or not

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by creeker70, Jun 4, 2013.

1. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    Wrong Vin Daytona Yellow Z

ACTUALLY MY VIN ON THE DECK READS VO 626 CTC AND THE PARTIAL VIN IS 1ON577642 SORRY ABOUT THAT I WAS LOOKING AT THE VIN CODE ON MY SONS LTI NOVA SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION I WILL POST MORE PICS OF VINS LATER THX:p :p :p :p

2. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Prospect Ct, USA
    What are 487x heads original to?

3. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Could you please post a picture of that stamp?
    I have never heard of a Norwood car with the VIN on the deck.
    The casting date on the block would be positive verification of the block date.

4. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    vin code pics daytona yellow z-28

:cool:
    go to my photo gallery for pics of the vin codes there is no casting date stamp anywhere on my block must of been built on a Friday lol:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    This is where it would be:

[​IMG]

6. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    It appears that someone re-stamped the block. The heads are incorrect also. Still, for 3 grand there are many factory parts that this car was "born with" still there. From your pictures it appears that the master cylinder may also be original. Whatever you do, I advise that you do not throw away any parts without consulting the folks here first. The brake booster, master cylinder, and many other parts will have markings to denote if they were for your car.
    The transmission should be checked also. Every original part that is still there makes car a bit more valuable.:bowtie:

7. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    well there is no date stamp anywhere :( :( :( I guess someone on the assembly line screwed up casting the block

8. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    I don't think so I believe some one just was sloppy on the assembly line happens all the time thx anyway for your help I still think this is a numbers car and my buddy just offered me 12k for it and he looked it over and it looks legit to him so I will probably flip and find another z that doesn't need so much work thx:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree, that does not look right at all. and its not just someone being sloppy on the assembly line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. creeker70

creeker70 Member

May 31, 2013
    b.c. canada
    Daytona Yellow Z-28 Vin Codes

actually you are both right about the pad stamp I called the former owner and he said the block was decked at one point and his machinist restamped the vin vo626. the owner found the protectoplate last year in his toolbox and said the same vo 626 number is on the plate . hes gonna send me the protectoplate by mail which is awesome. and he swears the partial vin by the oil filter is factory which I believe him. just look how rough and grainy the surface is that is not a restamp but original. so what if the numbers aren't in a straight line.assembly line workers aren't perfectionists especially if it was a Friday shift at the plant. now I know that the engine is born to my Z-28. ALSO THERE IS NO CASTING DATE ON MY BLOCK WHICH I HEARD IS COMMON ANOTHER FACTORY SCREWUP. AND I KNOW THAT MY ENGINE IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE THE 186 HEADS AND IM MISSING ORIG. INTAKE VALVE COVERS AND AIRBREATHER THANK GOD THE BLOCK IS ORIG. THX OR YOUR HELP AND INFO GUYS I WILL POST PICS OF THE PROTECTOPLATE WHEN I GET IT:p :