RAIN GUTTERS

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by wnmech, May 20, 2017.

1. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    This is probably a dumb question but what was the formula for which 2nd Gen Camaro's got rain gutters and which ones didn't? My 71 RS/Z28 does not have them.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    It may have to do with the Z21 style trim option. I don't know how that would work with the Z22 RS option, i.e. how and if one option overrides the other.
    Then there's ones for vinyl roofs and non-vinyl. Some are really close to the sheet metal and some have more of an actual gutter. Then there's the material. Stainless steel, aluminum, and Mylar for the later 2nd gens I think.
    This topic has always confused me, too. My 73Z had the Z21 option, so I have to figure out the roof rail/rain gutter issue, too.

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Looking at my build sheet I dont have a Z21 option I have a Y10 custom trim option I wonder if that deleted the gutter trim. I also have the Z22 Ralley Sport option on my build sheet.

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    If you have the Rally Sport option your car should have rain gutters. It was part of the bright trim package that was standard on Rally Sport cars. Z21 option could be added to any Non-Rally Sport car which would give you the bright trim package.. At least in 1970 & 1971. Not sure about 72 or 73 or when they changed from stainless steel to plastic.
    As mentioned the rain gutters are different for cars with a painted roof versus a vinyl top. Vinyl top cars have a wider gutter to give clearance for the added thickness.

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I realy did thank all camaros came with rain gutters , and the special packages were the rest of the crome stuff added along the doors and hood.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Chuck Sharin did the captioning on the below pics that I captured on one
    Bob G's 70 Camaro many years ago @!!!!!!!!!!

Rear1.BumperLeft.jpg Roof1.Moldings.jpg Style1.Trim.Z21.jpg StyleTrim1.Z21Moldings.jpg StyleTrim2.PillarMolding.jpg

Attached Files:

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    all vinyl top cars got he rain gutters and the wide C pillar molding also

8. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    My 71 has all the Z21 items pictured except the rain gutters. There was not any evidence of the car ever having them. The car is a Van Eyes build and I have a bonified RS/Z28 with the build sheet. Could this car possibly have got missed or overlooked by GM

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Doubtful . It probably passed 20 plus insectors from hard trim to final line ( on both sides ) ...don't forget , if it was missed it was missed on both sides by both installers .

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Who sells the rain gutters specifically for cars with vinyl tops?