Ragged out 77 Z-28 Restore Mission

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by ZRODDER, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ZRODDER

ZRODDER New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    NastyZ.jpg

Nasty Z II.jpg

I have a 1977 Z-28 I’ve owned since 1985. At some level I plan to put it back in service as a Hi-Performance street driver/cruiser.

My primary question is where do you recommend I buy my aftermarket replacement body panels from? I have heard to many stories of fenders and other components not lining up and being hard to adjust.

I will also need welded in replacement skin panels, so please add those to your response.

Thanks and Drive On,

2. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    Original GM are the only ones you aren't going to have issues with. There are only a couple of places that manufacture them and dozens that sell them. I think AMD is one that so far I've heard was the best. Classic Industries comes to mind but I don't know where they get their parts from.

p.s. how about what color/options does your car have?

3. ZRODDER

ZRODDER New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Is there any chance of Original GM parts being found? I have searched the web and struck out. I did find the AMD site, and fenders are about 280.00 each. Not bad for bolt-ons.

Thanks for your help.

4. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    South Joursey
    Youll also find that many of the aftermarket fenders no matter who they are from will need the door edge worked to get your gaps right. Better to search and get some OEM front fenders. They are out there.

5. ZRODDER

ZRODDER New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Thanks onelapduster, I will look into the ebay items listed, and may look into buying a parts car with good metal on the front. Before moving from the gulf coast I had 2 1976 Camaros for that purpose, but bringing them with me was not cost effective at the time. I did bring a hood and some dash equipment from them.

6. ZRODDER

ZRODDER New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Wow, January 2014 when I started the post. Well I am on the Z now. Started during the summer, and now am rolling into the winter. Here is what has happened so far. Took a donor car and cut the rear speaker deck and trunk hinge well area out and retro fit it into my Z to get rid of the antique rust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Tiny pictures.

8. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    .....procrastinator ???;)

9. ZRODDER

ZRODDER New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Southwest USA
    Any advice on how to adjust the photos to upload larger pics on this site would help in the future. Thanks