Quick fuel 125gph fuel pump

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Lee45, Jan 27, 2018.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Well, i'm at a loss. Try the things I pointed out and if no "worky", I have no clue. When you do find the problem, please post what it was. I'm curious, myself.

2. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Will do, Like I said I don't really trust my crappy gauge so it might be the bypass in the pump or the regulator itself. Think having a paper filter before the pump instead of a coarse filter would cause a problem?

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    No. Your problem is too much pressure and/or no solid control of the pressure. A filter, if clogged, anywhere (before, after or wherever) would cause less pressure. Not, more.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Do you have a return line or is it dead-headed? I may be way off base here, but I dead-headed a nitrous line with a cheap regulator once with an Aeromotive A-1000 pump and the pressure seemed to blow right past the regulator. Guess it would build up instead of siphoning off. Ran a return line and got a good reg. and it was fine. I don't know which it needed, maybe both, but I did both the changes at one time.

5. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Been busy with school and this weekend it decided to rain so I haven't had much time to really test the car but after changing the carb to my old quickfuel, new fuel filters, remounting the pump lower, and heat wrapping lines; I just decided to change the pump. The quickfuel pump has instructions that say DRAG RACE ONLY and apparently they mean it. People always complain that holley blues are loud but it has to be half as loud as that quickfuel that i could hear over the open cutouts. Only got to drive it once with the new pump but it was the longest drive I've taken it for since switching to an electric pump and no issues at all. Don't want to jinx myself but I'm pretty sure it was the pump.

6. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    I'll admit when I'm wrong for the sake of others, had never heard of fuel pressure creep but im positive after trying everything under the sun that it is what I'm dealing with. carb still floods under heavy load when the engine is warmed up, ordered a new Billet Holley regulator, fingers crossed it fixes the problem.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    I just posted something along these lines the other day in the engine section. The best regulator I have ever used is an Arowmotive dead head model. Absolutely no pressure creep and I have used several brands and all have done this. If this is a street car no more than 5.5 to 6 psi and drag only up to 7psi or you will blow the needles of the seats.

8. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Yeah saw it earlier, bought the Holley only because I got a buddy at MSD who gets a pretty good discount. Holley billet regulator actually looks suspiciously similar.