Quick fuel 125gph fuel pump

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Lee45, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    I've been having an issue with my new fuel pump where it will flood the engine but only under specific circumstances. It's fine at idle and when cruising but whenever the rpms get above 3000 it will start to overflow out of the vent tube and only when the engine is warmed up. I've tried cleaning the needle and seat twice, only happens on the front, and lowering the pressure to around 5psi using the regulator but it still does it. The pump is mounted below the fuel tank and has proper 10 gauge wire running to it and I've also tried running the car with out the gas cap.

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    I'd try changing the needle and seat.

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I second the needle/seat comment. Unless the regulator is malfunctioning, its something to do with the carb not, the fuel pump. But, verify the regulator pressure first. Might be that the regulator was tired and when it got a strong flow from the new pump, that broke the camel's back. Tell us what you find out.

4. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    ok whats the deal with the adjustable bypass? It says:
    These Quick Fuel electric fuel pumps are specifically designed for drag race use. They feature a built-in internal/external adjustable bypass, a built-in fuel pressure gauge port, and -8 AN fuel inlet and outlets. The pumps have a billet aluminum base with a built-in mounting bracket and include hardware, as well as detailed instructions.

Is that the screw in this pic?
    [​IMG]

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/79...MI3L-hv-T52AIVW7jACh2u6AdkEAQYAyABEgKpY_D_BwE

5. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    I've been running a fuel pressure gauge and pressure stays constant whether it's hot or cold. I have an extra carb so I guess changing the needle and seat couldn't hurt. Also I've noticed some vapor forming in the fuel filter before the regulator versus when the engine is cold the filter is full. Would baffle me if it would vapor lock at 14psi

6. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017

7. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    And, vapor lock wouldn't make it over-flow anyway. Vapor lock would starve it. If you are POSITIVE (check with fuel gauge at all RPMs!) that it is NOT the regulator, all that is left is the float needle and/or seat. Unless, the needle seat has been over tightened until it cracked the orifice. Don't know what carb you have but, most are just made out of "POT METAL". It's not strong and will break quite easily. If the float needle is rubber tipped and you can see ANY SIGN of a ring around it left by the seat, it is worn and needs to be replaced. That's all I can think of.

8. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Sounds like a plan, gonna borrow my bosses more expensive fuel pressure gauge, much nicer than a shitty mr. gasket, and check before and after the regulator. Changed the needle and seat today too and it still does it. Pump does get noticeably louder after a while and I'm starting to think it's because it is a drag race only pump rather than a Holley blue that is made for street and strip, might just have to bite the bullet on a different pump. Bought it because it was 15 dollars less than the holley, go figure......

9. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    You just made me think, I suppose there is a SLIGHT possibility the pump is over powering the regulator at high speed. I doubt it, though. Could call the pump maker and see what they say. Did you check for a cracked spot in the pot metal near the seat?

10. Lee45

Lee45 Member

May 28, 2017
    Carb looks perfectly fine to me, kind skeptical about it being the carb considering it's a brand new Quickfuel 850 annular double pumper