Quick!!! flood help!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by SpeedManJ, Nov 20, 2002.

1. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    ok, i know it's not exactly a camaro but i have a 1977 pontiac CanAM (Lemans w/ CanAm option........one of 1,300 made)w/ a 4bbl Quad. and when i took it off the road it was "Camming".......sounding like it was running on 4 cylinders I thought it might be a metering rod stuck so i took a brass mallet and tapped the top of the carb a bit. that didn't work so i used a whole can of carb cleaner on it. no worky. so i took it off and disassembled it, cleaned it up and all and put it back on. now it will only run with the gas all the way to the floor and it sounds like its on one cylinder now and it'll cut off as soon as i let off the gas. ya know white gas smoke pouring out exhaust, the occasional black cloud backfire out the carb. Anyway i'm thinking float but not sure. bout 2 weeks b4 it started acting up i had adjusted all the carb screws. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

------------------
    Big J Daddy-everything chevy....nothing ford........except mabey a rear-end.......

check out our classic car club at www.suncoastcruisers.com as for the Camaro....god of street under construction.

2. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So- you're running way too rich. If you have a badly maladjusted or no choke- car will not start properly in cool weather, be inclined to flood because you are hitting the gas to keep it running. White smoke indicates what seems to confirm this.

Readjust choke, fast idle and pull-off, check timing, make sure carb secondaries aren't sticking or hanging open (i.e. fuel doors). What exactly did you adjust with the 'screws' you mentioned? Idle mixture? Maybe part of this problem is you were way way off on your adjustments to start with.

3. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    Ya it was the idle mix screws i adjusted but i did a stall test on the car and it did better than fine. 2 1/2 turns on the passenger side screw and 1 1/2 on the drivers side (or visa versa??? can't remember...)but it ran fine for a while, then it acted up/ camming and idling like that but driving a lil while it cleared up. but driving some more it did the same stuff.almost like the plugs were bad. i replaced the float and now i can't get it to start. even w/ starting fluid. it'll hit over every now and then but won't twice in a row........and i dunno about white gas puffs any more.....plz help!!!!!!! this is my daily driver!!!!!

------------------
    Big J Daddy-everything chevy....nothing ford........except mabey a rear-end.......

check out our classic car club at www.suncoastcruisers.com as for the Camaro....god of street under construction.

4. 76L88

76L88 Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Aberdeen, SD
    Holy crap my car was doing the same thing!! Idles like a John deere and wouldn't even run if it was in gear. I tapped on the carb and it fixed it for a day. Next day, same thing so I put the carb off my truck on it. Weirdly enough, this actually made it worse!! (truck is my daily driver) It acts like the timing is way off. Have you ever installed a distributor 180 degrees out? It sounds like that, like you can hear some fire but it's way off. I am assuming it's either a messed up distributor/cam gear, timing chain slipped, or something fire related. I can't ge to it till this weekend though. My luck it'll be snowing like hell.

------------------
    76 Coupe
    86 Z28

"If it aint rusty, it will be"

5. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're chasing your own tail. Stop looking for big problems as you will more than likely create more of them. You changed float and now it's totally FUBAR? Obviously in the process of changing the float something else got messed up. Take it apart again and double check everything. Make sure the fuel fill valve is not stuck or binding. Once you've verified everything internally is ok- check what was mentioned above. If engine is flooded badly- even starting fluid won't get it going- as you've discovered.

6. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    ok, i've done everything i could w/ the carb. no luck. it's getting gas, i know that, and the spark is pretty strong (fingertips can verify).........i dunno. now it won't start no matter what. Help!!! pleeeeeeez!!!

------------------

7. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    oh ya, when i try cranking it w/ the gas to the floor, a rhythmic pop pop............pop pop...............pop pop..........can be heard while cranking it

------------------

8. 79er

79er Member

Nov 3, 2002
    LA, California
    I suspect the idle adjustment was set too lean (screws in too far) and this was causing the lopey idle or the needle and seat had a peice of dirt stuck in it causing it to flood. Sounds like the carb is garbage now. I would go eat it and get a rebuilt one. Cant even get past the first step until we eliminate the carb problem. Im not sure how good you are with carbs, but I get the feeling that float level is wrong and other problems with the carb since you took it apart and this is not an easy thing to walk you through, especially Qjets as they can be fussy. Get the carb, change the plugs as they are probably gas fouled and lets go from there. Do a clean installation of the carb and make sure the old gaskets are gone and manifold surface area is nice and clean. What I do so I can reuse the carb gaskets over and over and never to have to scrape carb gaskets again is too smear a thin coat of white grease on both sides of the carb gaskets. This will also offer some sealing properties as the grease is compressed between the surfaces of the carb and manifold. Its a neat trick and works. Good luck

9. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    thanx for the help! i'll get back to u on this thing.

------------------

10. SS350

SS350 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Sounds to me like your timing chain has slipped a cog.