Question regarding lower dash chrome.

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Autorestomod, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Autorestomod

Autorestomod New Member

Sorry if this has been asked a squillion times, I am on my mobile phone and for some reason, the search feature is not displaying.

Anyway.

We are working on an episode showing how to assemble and install a 1970 NPD dash pad and lower trim. Our glovebox was in need of replacement as was the a/c control section under the steering wheel, both of which came from OER with chrome detail. The original stuff had no such detail that I can see. The back of one original is marked "bright". So, which way do I go to be more correct? Any help for this neophyte would be humbly appreciated.

2. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

I think they all came with the chrome stripping when new.It wears off over time.I redid mine with a Krylon silver leafing pen.It turned great!

3. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not all cars had the bright trim on lower part of dash. I believe it was only cars with deluxe interior.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

it was part of the Z87 custom interior and in 73 when Z87 was dropped , it was standard on the Type LT .

5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

My car was a standard 76 coupe and it had it.It wore off over tiime.I was the 2nd owner with 9000 miles on it.Got it from my aunt’s estate when she passed.