Question about Sub-frame mounting bracket repair washers

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lapedr, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Does it make a difference whether I weld the repair washers to the top of the existing sub-frame mounting brackets which would cause the washers to be higher than the existing metal, or remove the metal from the bracket the same diameter of the washer, and then weld the washers into the frame brackets so they are even? Here are the washers I am talking about:

https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1981_Camaro_Subframe_Mounting_Hole_Repair_p/sus-219.htm

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Im sure It wouldn't make a difference on the height but u will be able to tell it was repaired if u overlap them. I would just spend alittle extra time to make them fit flush, u will be happier with the finished product

3. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Thanks, that's what I figured

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    You could also weld them on the bottom side of the bracket which is mostly shrouded from view by the flange that runs around it. That is how I did mine. After the frame was blasted, I sprayed weld thru primer on the now clean but thin original metal, cinched the plate to the bracket tight using parts of the solid bushing kit I was going to use and ran a bead around the repair plate as a lap weld. Whatever remained of the old bracket was clamped between the repair plate and the bushing.