Quality/Fit of Repro TRUNK LOCK ESCUTCHEON ????

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CamarosRus, Oct 29, 2017.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

.......The Chrome Piece The Fits around the lock cylinder

How does the OER piece fit
    How does the OER Rubber Gasket fit

Do you have pictures to post showing fit???

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    If there is an alternative, I don't trust OER. I think on this one the OER studs are not pre-threaded so not sure how well they work with the stock nuts.
    It may require the self threading stamped nut like on the corner marker lights.

NOS ones are on eBay fairly often and pretty cheap.

Here is the one I just got:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970-7...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It will look good on my "Camato"

Even the NOS GM ones are not perfect chrome. Kind of more of a satin. They didn't spend much time on the initial polish, but that is how they were from Chevy. Heck, the OER may be chromed better!

3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    The OER ones are very nicely chromed. The stud placement is not the best. I used aircraft safety nuts on mine. Otherwise speed nuts are required. The gasket fits fine. I just finished installing my new one.

4. CamarosRus

What about threading the studs like Ive read from some users ????

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Probably do-able, with enough care and a sharp threading die. Not sure just how strong the pot metal is. Too much force from the threading die may snap off the studs. If others have done it then it sounds reasonable.

Zstar likes this.
  6. CamarosRus

I'm chicken to try...I already have the OER piece...dont know what I'll do
    This is on my 73' R/S

7. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Dave - you stole that escutcheon!...good score!

As for the OER piece, I threaded the studs for 1/4-20...worked fine, but you have to be very careful tightening the nuts during installation as the potmetal studs will not take much torque before they snap...and I'm sure cutting threads into the material doesn't help. My experience with the OER piece is that it looks nice and is shaped well. but the repop gasket is way too thick.

CamarosRus likes this.
  8. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Probably because it was listed for a "Camato"! Wasn't on the radar for most folks.

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Unfortunately it seems neither Trim Parts nor CHQ reproduce the bezel in question. I've not seen the OER one in question but I agree that messing around with pot metal, especially repop stuff, can be tricky. I have a few used ones here that I'm hoping to make work when the time comes to bolt them on.

10. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    The worst that would happen is you'd have to buy another repop part...not like ruining an NOS piece. I think the risk would be worth it, especially given Steve's experience.