Qjet Woes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Strikers75, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Strikers75

Strikers75 New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Mobile Alabama
    Qjet wants to bog down when you give it the gas, if you lay into it, it kills the motor dead. Everthings rebuilt motor, carb. Got a holly performer manifold, and med cam, most smog been plugged, other than that stock. I'm real dumb when it come to carbs, tuning so be gently ;-)

2. as far as the part-throttle cutting out, I would look down the throat of the carb of the two front barrels and pump the throttle a couple times to see if there is a steady stream of gas shooting down each barrel. You only get a few pumps before the bowl goes dry, so you may want to grab a flashlight to get a good look. If there are not two steady streams, then the accelerator pump is faulty.

As far as it stalling the engine when you get on it, I would first look at the vacuum diaphram on the passenger side of the carb that controls the opening of the seconaries. Try to open the secondaries with the car in park, and see how the diaphram operates (Be very careful, you don't want to over-rev your engine.)

Also, check your fuel filter, it may be as simple as a partially plugged fuel filter. One other thing could be a low float level, but that may be beyond the scope of a carberator novice.

[This message has been edited by purple81 (edited November 23, 2002).]

3. Strikers75

Strikers75 New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Mobile Alabama
    Took the beather off with it running, instanlly fixed a multitude of sins. Put a new air filter (taller) on and it runs much better, still doing some tweaking on the idle. Still got a bit of hesitation, not nearly as bad. Thanks Purple

4. SpeedManJ

SpeedManJ Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Wilmington,NC,US
    ok after u check and tune all carb problems then try ignition. i've learned my lesson w/ spark plugs and the wires. I even had a funky coil that would screw up on a cold day. replaced coil and never had problem again............Damn cars are people.....I swear.

------------------
    Big J Daddy-everything chevy....nothing ford........except mabey a rear-end or so.......

check out our classic car club at www.suncoastcruisers.com as for the Camaro....God of Street under construction (named Alexis).