Putting car in the air - 4 jackstands

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by gadrix, Feb 3, 2008.

1. gadrix

gadrix Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Can someone tell me the safest, most proper way to get a car up on four jackstands with the least amount of danger to life or limb or Camaro.:eek:

Multiple opinions are ok with me.

Thanks,

Craig

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Half at a time, front first with the stands under the frame, then the rear with the stands under the axle.

3. +1
    I did mine in two tries tho because I wanted it HIGH! Jack the half up, put the maliboosters under, reset the jack with a piece of 4x4 (or something) on it and jack it higher! Don't forget to chock the wheels too :roadkill:

4. SS2001

SS2001 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Lithia Springs, GA
    Works for me. Thats where my car is at the moment - and at least for the near future.

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I don't like or agree with the jackstands on the front. I found a better way for me was to jack up each front side at a time and put car ramps under the front wheels. Let the front suspension hold the car instead of just hanging. Best way for clutch/ exhaust changes, ect.

Then jackstands under the rear axle, That way the car is still high in the air but not in a hanging down, body warping position.

6. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    I have had to do it one corner at a time before.

But if you got a big floor jack you can do it half at a time. But do your best to stay out from under the car when it is only supported by the jackstand, use a broom handle if you have to push the stands farther in for some reason.

7. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    well if you are rebuilding the front suspension then you would have to use the stands on the jack. but if you are working on engine or tranny, yea i would use ramps instead.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

we used 6 stands while doing the suspension on my camaro

(2) under the rear axle

(2) under the front subframe behind the firewall

(2) under the front subframe under the core support

9. TheFly

TheFly Guest

If ya got any spare tire n rims or just rim they can help. Put them under the tires to help hole it up, while you get it up higher n higher.

As it best to do each end but raise each end a bit higher at a time. Like don't put rear end 4ft in air, then try n lift front to match.........

10. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Jax, FL
    That's how mine has been for the past six months....:(

B