Put after market gauges in stock instrument panel

Discussion in 'Gauge Marks' started by slayer021175666, Mar 1, 2016.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Hi. is it possible to put after market gauges it the stock instrument panel? If so, does anyone have any suggestions about brands of gauges and finding proper sizes to fit the stock holes? My panel just has dummy lights. I'd like to put a tach where the big dumb looking gas gauge is, leave the stock speedo where it is and fill the rest of the dummy light holes with mechanical amp, vacuum, gas and oil gauges. Any pics you guys might have of how you did yours would be appreciated too, if you have some. Thanks a lot!

2. cvhu

cvhu Member

Jan 18, 2012
    sarnia, ontario, canada
  3. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I did it with some autometer gauges. I didnt use the stock hole sizes though because bigger is better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    I converted A clock to an oil gauge.
    I got the nastyist clock ive ever seen so it hit me make an oil pressure gauge.
    i gutted it drilled a hole in the back there the bottom number for the clock was,
    then took apart a power fist mechanical oil pressure gauge taking the face plate and attached mechanical thingy. sat that in the clock hosing then fitted a plastic ring around the gauge face plate to hold it in and it looks pretty good. haven't put it in the car yet but it should be quite nice.
    a 2 inch gauge fits perfect and the ring for its glass should work to fitt the thing. you can also buy them pre done from http://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1978_Dash_Instrument_Cluster_Gauge_p/das-467c.htm
    Id just make my own if i was you but the store bought one looks nicer and you wont be risking super gluing your fingers to a rag like it did.

5. bodean

bodean Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2010
    columbus ohio
    i used two inch autometer mechanical water and oil in a 79z and had a issue with a ducting hose running to furthest vent on drivers side forcing me to remove it for clearance.still would like to rout it around it so it could be functional.

6. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    What I wound up doing was:
    I took off the metal plates that hold in the dummy lights and I drilled and filed them to mount the gauges to them. I used washers for spacers so I could make them fit right in the stock holes. It took about 4 hours but, it didn't cost $750 or more! I just used some mechanical gauges I already had ($0) and ran all the lines through an existing hole in the firewall. I now have a temp, oil, volt and vacuum gauge where the dummy lights used to be! Still trying figure out a way to replace the big dumb fuel gauge with a tach and switch out the cheesy 85MPH speedo. Its hard on the 1981 because of the speed sensor mounting being different than previous years. I am totally open to suggestions, though! :)

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Guage Marks Last Activity: 07-28-2013 12:21:42 PM :screwup: