Purpose of an L-88 hood.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by str8upsuburbz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. TonyZ

TonyZ Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2007
    LaMoille, Illinois

i had mine long before the redone version this was identicle to mine back in 87 except mine didnt have fog lights!!
    guess im trying to recapture my youth!!

[​IMG]

2. str8upsuburbz

str8upsuburbz New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    raleigh, nc
    Look at the can of worms I opened. Hell yes it looks great. How do the cut outs under the lip help and is there a benefit to it? The design just seems to serve no purpose other than astetics. Am I missing something?

Mark

3. old zeder

old zeder Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Guelph Ont. Canada
    It is the "NOSTALGIA LOOK " and you won't get that if you did not live and have one back in the day, it is a personal thing for some of us older guys. some of us guys with big blocks have no choice but to put a raised hood on to have air cleaner clearance, and some just like the look.

I have 1/2" clearance on mine no spacer plate, airgap intake, 3-1/2" filter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Yup. And I have chains in the trunk for added traction.:eek:

5. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    MUSCL CAR,

Your car is the exception. You ride is very nice. I am from San Bernardino and my in-laws live there so one of these days I want to roll by your casa and check out that hot rod you got.

6. TonyZ

TonyZ Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2007
    LaMoille, Illinois
    as others said its mainly a clearance deal , it dose however allow cool air in the rear just as a cowl hood would.
    so it is more than just looks.
    pretty sure my 68 vette runs a lil cooler with the added airflow into the engine bay.
    my 68 had a 454 with dual quads and even with the nasty home made aircleaner it barely fit under the l88 hood
    [​IMG]
    set up now also needed the room
    [​IMG]
    see one from passenger view
    [​IMG]

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yep the L88 was the hood to have in the 70's and even into the early 80's

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Thought about doing the same thing Joe. I grafted one on a 68 Chevelle I once had .I know if I got one for my car now some of the original guys would have a stroke. LOL

9. old zeder

old zeder Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Guelph Ont. Canada
    And here are a few more pics of the air cleaner under the hood, some may not like the K&N filter system but if you keep it clean it lets the engine breath good works good for me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that's the view i've got and with a sealed air pan the motor only gets cold air to the carb