Purpose of an L-88 hood.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by str8upsuburbz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ

Meee too. They are like belly buttons. I put an 81 Z hood on my 73 nose because I just couldnt go the traditional cowl scoop route. I considered cutting my old L-88 hood to raise it,but I am a bit too lazy sometimes,and in all honesty,it gave me 3 more inches of clearance which was more then enough for my bigblock that sits on 1.5" raised mounts(for added oil pan clearance) and has a Victor 454R intake,and 1.5" carb spacer or 1" nitrous plate.

2. proshine2004

proshine2004 New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    cen ca
    anyone have a picture of a taller l88?

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

mine is a 4" tall "race weight" L88 hood and is tall enough for my sbc with a holley strip dominator "same size as a edelbrock super victor" ,2" tall open spacer ,holley carb and drop base air cleaner with a 5" tall filter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

5. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Chuck,do you happen to have a pic from the driving position---I'm interested in the line of sight with that hood(yeah I need a hood)

6. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

Dec 28, 2004
    tucson az USA
    those hoods look just right! back in the day, I grafted a glass one on my camaro. later on picked up a glass L88 hood, and to this day, I dont remember what I did with it. Went a different route when I thought about adding a big block, I grafted the steel cowl induction dome off a SS chevelle to a camaro hood. Ended up putting a 6-71 on the car, so a scoop doesnt work for me. jim

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

no i don't but can email a pic to you tomorrow if you want

i do have a pic of the same hood with a grump lump grafted on ...........maybe this might help !! . if you use the bracket of the fuel pressure gauge as reference that is the top of the L88 hood as you can see with the newer pic

[​IMG]

8. MR. FBDY

MR. FBDY Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2001
    hudson, NY
    are those studded BFG drag radials I see on there? :)

9. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    That would be great if you could--Thanks Chuck

10. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm 5'7" and I can see the right front corner pretty easily over mine