Purchasing a Car in Another State - Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Alabama, USA
    I found a 2000 model car on a used car lot in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. One of my friends that lives in Atlanta went to inspect the car for me this afternoon. He looked the car over throughly and took it on a test drive. He sent me photos and a couple of videos of the car and the test test drive.

The plan is to send another friend to Atlanta and drive the car back to my hometown. I will send a cashier's check for the total purchase price with him. Is this the best way to purchase the car given my circumstances of not being able to go to Atlanta myself? Any thought or ideas will be appreciated.
  2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Well if that came in the form of an email it would sound a lot like a scam.

But anyway I do believe YOU will have to be there to sign the papers in your name from a dealership. Unless you want to put it in buddies name and then transfer to yours. Nothing like paying the taxes twice.
    budro6968 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That depends on if your Buddy is a Knowledgeable person when it comes to ins and outs of cars. Should have it looked over at a local mechanic shop to pull wheels and check brakes and other safety related items. Even the Midas muffler shop down the road from me will perform a free safety check. It just takes a while. I send my Niece there when I don't have the time to do something for her. They won't fix a thing without your consent plus sign a contract. Just recommend what is needed or will need done soon. Good Luck.
  4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

A lot depends on how Alabama treats vehicles from Georgia. I live 2 miles from Kentucky and out of state cars get lots of scrutiny. Buying from a dealer helps, but find out what each state requires first.
  5. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    call the dealer and ask how to handle transaction.
  6. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Alabama, USA
    Thanks to all of you that offered advice to me!
  7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    This shouldnt be a problem. I have purchased new and used vehicles from dealers out of state, one new truck just recently that a shipping company drove to me, meaning i never saw the truck before it got to me. I went on vaca before all the paperwork was complete, so i dont really know how they worked out the signing of the title. We always insure the truck before hand. Probably should make sure the dealer can provide you with a temp plate.
  8. clill

clill Veteran Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Woodland, Ca. US
    If you are comfortable with the car you can have the dealer overnight you the papers to sign and then wire the dealer the money.