Pump gas. Whats best? My only options are Shell/76/Chevron/Texaco

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by thrasher, Mar 7, 2010.

1. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

May 27, 2006
    Shell/Chevron/Texaco Those are my only options.
    What have you had the best luck with?

My engine has 175 cranking compression and I'm running 30 total timing on a Vortec head.

During the end of winter I was using regular unleaded from 76 with no issues. Now that the weather is getting hotter it's not cutting it. I experienced some pinging at the top end of the track today.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    93 octane is all you need, and some more timing

3. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Texaco still in business? i thought they got bought out in the early 2000's

4. enjoideviantly

enjoideviantly Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Out here there is the occasional Shell, but mostly Chevron, texaco, safeway, fred myers, am/pm. Sometimes a 76.

I use safeway usually because they run 6-10 cents less, chevron is usually highest, and am/pm is 2nd best deal but I've never used their gas.

I think he is also asking what brand is better/bad? Anyone have input? I am interested also, since all we have was mobil, BP and kwik trip/kwik star, shell in WI

5. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I have 185PSI and run 93 without issues.

6. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    My truck like Sunoco 89 octane the best. That's what's recommended anyway's. Hopefully my Camaro will like it too, I don't know though. My static compression ratio is only going to be 9.1:1, but my dynamic compression ratio is going to be 7.9:1. So I might have to run higher octane fuel, we'll see.

I try to stick with Sunoco or Hess fuel if I can.

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

out here on the west coast i only run unocal76 or chevron 91 octane only and that's with a can of nos "racing formula" octane booster at ea fill up

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Chevron bought Texaco in 2000. I still see Texaco stations in Texas but they sell Chevron gasoline.

Re: what gasoline to use. 93 octane is 93 octane. The main difference is the proprietary additives companies put in their gasoline, which might not mean jack squat in our cars' engines. I use Shell almost exclusively but only because I have their credit card that knocks 5% off the gas price. At $3/gal that is 15 cts/gal which adds up.

9. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    It doesn't really matter where the fuel comes from, it's all the same.

You can sit in town here and watch the same fuel delivery trucks go from Shell to Chevron and Texaco then Citgo.....

It all comes from the same well, all that changes things is if a particular station has water/rust/etc in their tanks.

All that said, I use 93 octane in my high compression 406, from whatever station is the cheapest.

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Correct info here^^^^^

With increased amount of methanol in gasoline these days.....a good ole can of Seafoam about once a year will do you great justice. No need in reading too much into who's gasoline contains which additives.