Pulling oil pan? For oil pump removal

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by smallblockchev, Feb 1, 2018.

1. smallblockchev

smallblockchev Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2011
    st michael, mn
    Last season i discovered my oil pressure gauge was pegging out, so i did some testing this winter with 2 sets of oil pressure gauges and both read 50 psi at start up and increased with throttle, but they kept increaseing past 80 psi so i shut it down and called the oil pump manufacture (sealed power) and they said if the pressure didn't let off after 70 to 80 psi that more than likely the pump has a bad pressure releaf valve, so to replace it.
    Motor is a new build 3 years ago and didn't start happening til last year.
    I know to remove the oil pan i have to raise the motor 2" or 3".
    My question is what all do i need to disconnect to raise the motor other than the motor mount bolts?
    Has this happened to anybody else and do you think this is the right thing to do?
    Any thougts appreciated.
    Thanks Smallblockchev.

FermentedSpirit likes this.
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I would just pull the engine and be done with it,

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Just the engine mount bolts and the distributor cap so it doesn't break hitting the firewall.

4. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I've seen guys set them on the harmonic balancer after they raise the motor. I don't know if it would hurt anything but, I wouldn't do it. Besides, if you need to turn the crank to get the pan past the counter weights, you're screwed. I lift it and put wood blocks between the motor mount halves. Just an Idea.
    As for the high pressure problem. Yes. Sounds like the manufacturer is right.

5. smallblockchev

Dec 23, 2011
    st michael, mn
    So no need to loosen exhaust or remove drive shaft.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Driveshaft, no. (Unless you have a solid mount at the cross member. Then you should remove the mounting bolt(s) to the cross member.)
    Exhaust... It depends upon the clearance.

7. smallblockchev

Dec 23, 2011
    st michael, mn
    Any recommendations on what kind of pump to replace with? The one coming out is a Napa sealed power.

8. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I don't know for sure if its true but, when I got my "High Performance" (just looked like a normal GM one to me) oil pump, it had a way to run it high performance or regular performance. I ran it high performance but, after I put it in, someone told me I should not have. Said it is hard on the cam gear or distributor gear or something. Sorry. It was years ago so, hard to remember. Anyway, I've had it running (high performance) for years with no known problems. But, you might wanna ask around about this.
    Mine has about 50 pounds of pressure. Makes me feel fine.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I jack it up at the balancer once the motor mounts are unbolted and the dizzy removed.

10. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Either unbolt the fan shroud or remove it, the fan may hit it when jacking the motor up.