PTFB Roll Bar

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sandiego74, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm suspicious of any loaded part of the chassis that isn't welded in. It looks like a nice enough piece but I can't speak for it myself
    Most guys I know who do roadracing in street-ish cars run Autopower rollbars
    http://www.autopowerindustries.com/index.html

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    THANK YOU for showing me these guys. Not sure how, but I keep lucking out with these big manufacturers that are close by me. I'll check them out in person, but their stuff online looks great!

Thank you, again, for this.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Took at look at their products, seeing they only make roll bars for "Cameros"....I'll look somewere else.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Guys who weld up cages aren't always good spellers.

5. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Went to AutoPowerIndustries and I really liked what they have to offer. Same price as the PFTB after everything totaled, but they have an extra cross bar included. Anyone here running their roll bar?

6. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    So I ended up going with the Autopower roll bar, as I didn't want to pay a hefty shipping bill and I really liked their business. Smaller than I thought it would be, but they're legit. Everything they do is within tech spec for multiple racing sanctions, and they do all sorts of builds. The shop had a nice prerunner truck, a 300 mph Bonneville car, and a newer JCW Mini all getting worked on.

I asked them if the bolt in option is more for-show, but they say it was built specifically for SCCA and is simply a cheaper, easier option to a weld-in bar. I can always modify it and weld it in sometime down the road.

Here are the pictures of the bar installed. I got the bolt-in cross bars, which cost a bit more, but definitely worth it. It bolts in easily and is supported with braces on the other side of the mounting point.

IMG_2783.JPG IMG_2784.JPG IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2786.JPG

Thank you, again, Lowend, for the reference.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Looks like a pretty good kit, Since there are no rear bars I guess its more for roll over protection and not much for frame stiffness? Looks easy to install.