PTFB Roll Bar

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sandiego74, Nov 17, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Firstly, I'd like to say I've had great success and absolutely zero issues with Dave from PTFB, so please no bashing.

Has anyone seen or tried out the roll bar he is offering? It's a great price and looks solid, but do you think a bolt-in roll bar is a bad idea?

http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I've used a bolt in bar before, in a car that went low 11s. I've never tested one, thankfully, but I have seen the aftermath when one was. The car fared better than one without a bar. You have to install it with plates per NHRA guidelines if you want it to be as useful as possible. I would never give negative advice about anyone wanting to add safety equipment. I don't believe it would add as much chassis stiffness as a welded in bar, but I don't think it would hurt to install it.

3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome! Thanks for the good info.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I actually feel it's nice to be able to bolt it in, but I agree that roll bars should be welded to be structurally sound. I actually bought Detroit Speeds bar. Got it for a good price from Summit. Cheaper then the PTFB. Watch those freight charges! Lol

5. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I was looking at that on Summit. How'd it fit? I'd definitely like the cross bar to be bolt-in, at least.

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Haven't installed it yet, but the feedback I got was it was a perfect fitting designed piece. You can never go wrong with Detroit Speed

7. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'll definitely look into theirs as well. Thank you!

8. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Bolt in cross bars are not NHRA legal. I'm not sure about IHRA or road race stuff. The hoop and cross bar are the heart of any roll bar or cage, if you're going as far as installing one the fixed bar makes more sense from a safety and rigidity standpoint. If you must have a removable crossbar, at least compromise and weld in the rollbar. Or add a fixed crossbrace right above the driveshaft tunnel. Anything to help stiffen it up and keep the outside of the car from coming inside if need be.

9. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well.....You have to consider there are different rules for different speeds at the track. I drag raced my car without a roll bar, they wouldn't kick me out with one with a removable cross bar. Tons and tons of people are autocrossing with DSEs bar....plus again I autocrossed without one.

BL The removeable cross bar is not an issue. If you are drag racing you need a full cage anyways....DSE is not in the drag race building business.

10. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Down to 10.0 you only need a 5 point bar. If you're going 11.50 or slower in a hardtop, nobody will care since no bar is required. I just don't see how adding a non braced bent tube will help with torsional rigidity. Adding a crossbar down low that is permanently attached to the hoop would definitely make me feel better, and the rear seat would still be accessible.