Proper Setup for Relocating the Battery to the Trunk

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Nov 4, 2017.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    And scaring me, I just want to be sure that all the extra feet of cable is safe, and the battery in the back is not going to cause problems

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va

Hey Jim good to see you after 9 years or so....thanks for sharing the "fused" examples, I need to add that extra layer of protection to mine too between the battery and the cutoff switch.

3. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Sometimes one forgets some sites and I'm glad I could throw out what I know to help with things.

I do have a question is I have a link to an old site on AOL I had with pictures and this site is long gone. I tried updating my personal information and saved the changes but I don't know if I'm not doing something right, or one has to be a supporting member, or what.

The new places I have pictures and video's are at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

and

https://www.youtube.com/user/StlNovas/videos

If you can change it, or let me know how I can do it, I would appreciate it. In the above sites I have a BUNCH of info others might find helpful.

Thanks, Jim

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Nice thread on battery relocation. I was just thinking this weekend how I want to do mine. I need to make room for a turbo and moving the battery to in the trunk seems like a good idea. On my Vette, It's right over the rear axle. I need to move it to behind the Rh rear tire. I also need to get a lighter weight battery in it. I have a group 31 in it and that thing is 65lbs.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Is there a best spot for the battery are do you need a scale to see the best spot??

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Technically you'd need a set of scales to determine the best spot and it would also depend on your intentions for the car.

Most people go for rear right corner to help counter the weight of the driver and maximise the weight shift to the rear, but also cos it's a good spot to tuck it.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  7. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I'm getting in to this now as well. One question though. Instead of running a shunt on the starter can I just piggyback the blue line from one solenoid to the other? Wouldn't they both get the ignition power at the same time?