Proper Setup for Relocating the Battery to the Trunk

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Nov 4, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I've seen quite a few discussions on here and other websites about relocating the battery to the trunk, and some seem easy while others are much more complicated. I'd like to do the swap as cleanly as possibly and in a way that would pass tech for SCCA. I'm on a budget, so if I can do it cheaply, I'd certainly prefer that. I've got an Optima battery, so at least I know that I won't need a sealed box, but should I run it through the cab or on the frame? Should I get the Ford solenoid? Where should I get the wiring? What size wiring? These are just a few of the questions I have after reading some of the previous threads on here. I'm not an electrically-inclined guy, but I'll do the best I can to understand the information.

This may seem lazy, but because of all of the different information out there, can someone please make a list of what I'll need to do this on a budget in order to pass tech? Please and thank you.

Pictures of other setups would be nice, though I know Photobucket is being a b**** lately and making it difficult for us to share.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Running. Trunk mount battery set up keeping it very simple and NHRA Legal and have running this style set up in my Camaro over 17 years with no issues at the track

Alternator Hot wire run to the batt side of the disconnect mounted on the tail panel , also running 1/0 battery cable

This is the battery disconnect I'm running

https://www.summitracing.com/search...sconnect-switches?autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

EDIT ..

Forgot to mention that this set up allows a track worker easy access to the electrical in the event you've hit the wall and are unable to shut the car off by yourself . Also with the Alternator hot wire wired like this a track worker can shut the car down quickly even if you've got a hung throttle and rpms at over 3k

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Great! I really appreciate the input.

You know what would REALLY help me out, since I'm not very savvy with electrical engineering, would be a diagram on how to wire everything up and where everything goes. I have yet to see one. If no one has made one yet, maybe I can by the time I'm done with this.

4. muscl car

Here's a wiring diagram just like how mine is wired

https://www.americanmuscle.com/taylor-battery-disconnect-install.html

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I used a sealed box...Lead Acid Battery
    [​IMG]

I used a cut off switch like Chuck did, but made by Taylor
    [​IMG]

I also used a Ford solenoid mounted close to the battery....this way the long battery cable going to the starter is only hot while engaging the starter. That long battery cable was run along the wheel well and down the pass side in the rocker electrical chase under the sill plate up to the firewall and through to the engine and down to the starter. You have to make a jumper on the starter from the big lug to the solenoid.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT**
    BTW, this tool is worth it's weight in gold....highly suggest purchasing something like this if you are making battery cables, the anvil type that you hit with a hammer is very inconvenient up inside tight spaces.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

6. muscl car

As per the Ford Solenoid wiring option its a personal preference thing . some people swear by it and some wire it like I've got as its much simpler and prefer the KISS system

I had a friend wire his drag race car using the ford solenoid and with the complexity of its wiring it cost him a race in the final round of elims . he went start his car in the lanes and lost power do to a failed solenoid . if he had it wired like mine it wouldn't have had this problem

Also with using a Battery disconnect switch you can keep your cars electrical system cold , this saves the draw on the battery . every time I'm not in my Camaro the disconnect is turned off . no matter how long I'm away from the car even its less than 5 minutes the disconnect is off

Think of this batt disconnect as any light switch in your house , you wouldn't leave your lights on in your house 24/7 correct ???

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
  8. muscl car

9. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
  10. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA