Project "I must be Insane"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76 for 26, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    Yea...my friends think I'm insane for dumping money into this car. I have prior experience welding mild steel while building semi scale platforms, but limited experience welding thin steel outside stainless. Hoping I'll be able to remember and adapt. Sheet metal cost is going to be high, but I've had it too long and can't let it go. On that note, I've done a lot of searching and found reference and guidance for early 2nd gen jigs, but haven't been able to find anything for 74-77. Does anyone have any examples or measurements for a 76 jig or could steer me in the right direction to find the information? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    Bump....

Anyone out there have the frame measurements or know where I can get them? Also looking to see if anyone has built a jig for a 1976 Camaro and would be willing to share the plans/pictures. I found the info for earlier 2nd gens, but nothing for the later big bumber years. Thanks in advance!!

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Did a bit of searching myself have an interest in a jig as well. Came up bit empty, i suspect there are not alot of folks that make these for the later year 2nd gens but did come up with a video with some good takeaways and some frame dimensions for a 76 Camaro.

camaro_crash_diagram.jpg

4. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    Thanks Bandit. That's enough to get me going...

5. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    cool build, I too had to replace everything on mine, thou I was limited on everything I got mine back together without a jig or rotisserie (hope it's not to far off) if you can jig it and just go for it, I would replace all you can with new. good luck with any way you choose to go .

6. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    Well...have a game plan for the jig (going to somewhat mirror mrfireman164's approach above). The only problem (with the exception of the 4K in sheet metal) I see down the road is the lack of full rear frame rails. I searched high and low and all I can find are the partial upper section. However, the bottom sections on mine are toast. Anyone have any solutions are know where I can find a full frame rail. Also, as I was researching where to purchase the inner/outer rockers, I found a pre assembled rocker assemble for 70-73 Camaro that include the door hinge supports. Since inner/outer rockers are interchangeable on all second gens, will this work on a 76?

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    For the rails you are going to have to find a donor set. Not aware that any one makes the full piece as of yet.

8. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
  9. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS