Project "I must be Insane"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76 for 26, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    The garage is 36x32...wanted it wide/tall enough to work on multiple cars and fit a hoist. I poured two 4x4 squares (so I wouldn't forget where they are) by 2 foot in the left bay where I originally planned to insert a 2 post lift (ceiling 13 foot). But that will wait until I get all the metal work done. The car doesn't look too bad in that picture, but I'll go take a few pics and post them this evening to illustrate the damage. Budro6968....mini beer fridge in the closet. Regarding the posters....wife set a few limits....but that's ok....she gave the ok to start the cash flow drainage. She's a sport...helped me pull the doors, engine, and tranny. Think she likes working on it, but won't admit it

budro6968 likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That's why I said Bikini and not their Nay Nay. I would get hell from My wife too with bare skin pic's

3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Nice looking project. Welcome aboard.

4. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG First of a few pictures I'll try to get posted tonight to show the damage...

5. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0029.JPG The prior picture illustrates the damage to the driver side inner/outer rocker panels, floor pan, quarter panel section. Not really sure as to the best approach to talckle that section (i.e. Getting every thing lined up). The flowing pics show other areas with rust damage.

6. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0093.JPG

Well, back at it. Finally able to get back glass out without breaking, but what a pain. Took 5 hours of messing around. Bright spot in final disassembly is that the original build sheet was still on top of the gas tank and is for the most part readable.

7. 76 for 26

76 for 26 New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    NC
    I have done a lot of reading in prep for the next step, cut out and replace 50%-60% of the car. Based on the condition or the car, I am thinking about starting in the front and working my way back (clean metal to weld to up front) Given the amount of damage to floors, rockers, quarter panels, and rear frame rails,think I need to build a jig. Any thoughts? If I build a jig, I'm thinking of replacing full floor pan (with braces and torque boxes), rockers, trunk floor, and frame rails after doors reinstalled and aligned after they are re-skined and receive new hinges. Then re-install the front sub-frame and rear end and r&r quarters. Please let me know if this is a reasonable approach or if I should consider and alternative.

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    man you must be really attached to it, before getting in too far have you priced up all of the replacement sheetmetal?

Assuming you have and are still keen, bracing it up first is a good idea. With the suspension under load, tack in some cross bracing across the front windscreen, rear window and door openings. It's worth taking the time to make at least one of the braces across the door openings bolt-in by utilising the hinge and striker mounts.

Next up you're going want to look at putting it on a rotisserie, usually the body is bolted to the rotisserie using the rear bumper mounts and front subframe mounts, but you may need to add some more temporary braces between the mounting points and or structurally sound parts of the car first.

Once it's on the rotisserie and back from media-blasting (you're getting it blasted right?) I'd probably start with the rockers or floorpans first then work out from there, but order of replacement is a tricky one without taking a really good look at the car.

Whatever you do replace one piece at a time, as tempting as it is DO NOT cut away everything that's rusty then try to clamp/screw all your new sheetmetal together into something that resembles a car again.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Whew!!! lots of work to be done here. With this much metal work to be done here i would go with a body Jig

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  10. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Welcome! Very ambitious project. I can identify with the sentimental reason for wanting to save your car. I refer to it when I do the same as "sortofmental' reasons.