Project Girasol

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da-bigguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Just read thru the thread. It looks like a great build. I actually drove up to San Antonio to cut the trunk divider out another guys car. that is what i welding into mine. In your case, patching isn't going to be so bad. you can probably use 20-22 gauge sheetmetal. you can find it at your local Lowe's. I can't tell you how much metal i bought from there. Take your time and plan, plan plan. I still change my mind constantly. LOL.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Some progress forward

I just made a huge leap forward in my project. I've been collecting bits and pieces for the last few months, rear window, front bumper, power window and door pieces but tonight I just made the largest acquisitions for the project!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along with the engine and transmission, I also got the starter, the power steering pump, the a/c pump, the serpentine and a Speartech wiring harness. In the next few months I plan on making huge steps forward on the project with the goal of having it on the road before the end of the year!

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Now that's what I call a big box o 'tude!

I'll be following along with just a hint of envy my friend. :cool:

4. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks Mark! I'm super-stoked about it, couldn't get to sleep until after 1am and I was tired to begin with!!

5. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I had to get a towel to wipe the drool off the keyboard after seeing the EFI engine. Looks like a first class build. Champion Rental on 249 (1 mile north of 1960) rents engine hoists (tow and tear down types)

Just two miles down the road from you so call-email if you need an assist.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Dang man thats a sweet motor. Love the story too. Keep at it man

7. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks man! It seems to me the way things worked out that the engine and transmission were destined to be mine! I'm planning on getting started working on it this weekend now that I will have some time.

8. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Started planning work on the car this weekend

Since I've got some time and will be getting started working on the actual car and not just collecting parts, I went out to the garage and took a few pictures under the backend of the car. First appearance is it looks in very decent shape and clean, other than dust and a few cob webs hanging around!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I get under there and start poking around in earnest, hopefully it stays that nice and there are no real hidden surprises!!

9. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    A few more pics of the backend

I was out in the garage to take one of the wheels off to get some pics of the drum brake setup I have for one of the members and decided at the same time to pull the differential cover off to see what I have to work with. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a fresh positrac rear end in there. Now I just need to figure out what ratio I have!

On a negative, it looks like there might be some rot under there as well.

[​IMG]

Hopefully it isn't too bad but time will tell!

10. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Nice! Thats one big ring gear.