Project Girasol

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da-bigguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Congrats on the job!

2. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Congratulation on the new work! That's exciting!

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks guys! I just finished an eight day freelance consulting job over in the New Orleans area so that is a nice chunk of change that will be coming in and the company appears to have a bunch more work so it will be a great Christmas this year! I'm thinking it may be time to see what Black Friday deals I can find for some car parts. Maybe see if Baer brakes has a deal going on.

4. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'd like some feedback from my fellow enthusiasts here! I'm giving some thought to installing a smaller LS engine before I put in the LS7 in order to get the car on the road and mostly debugged. Does anyone know if the LS7 would be more or less a drop in if I install something like an LS1 or LS3 before it? It is my understanding that the blocks are all pretty much the same.

Any comments/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I will be getting out into the garage this coming week since the freelance work has been quiet and I have the time right now so hopefully I will have some new pics to post before too long.

5. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    LS1/3 vs LS7 have different PCM, injectors, throttle body/accelaratol pedal control, crank trigger, crank sensor location and more. Save your self a problem and stick to one engine.

best regards

6. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks for the quick feedback! I was thinking more along the lines of the engine mounts, connection to transmission and so forth. The rest of it wouldn't require major surgery to change would it, going from one of the other LS engines to an LS7?

7. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    All V8 GM trans (exept transaxle) use same transmounts. Bellhousing on all Chevy trans are the same from 1955 SBC to the latest LSx, not quite sure about newest LT1 trans but most likely the same too. Also all LSx use same bolt pattern on engine block for mounts. So swaping from one to another LSx is just replcing engine with harness + acc pedal where drive-by-cable needs to be changed to drive-by-wire.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  8. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking I can get a used LSx engine at a pretty decent price to get the rest of the car finalized and while I save up for the LS7, unless I stumble across another screaming deal like I had earlier but had to sell when things got tight for me. I've already got the 4L80e transmission for the car, the engine mounts for an LS engine so it will hopefully allow me to get the car on the road earlier than I had expected if I go this route. Of course, if the one job I think I've got comes through, by August I will have the cash to buy a new LS7 from GMPP plus finish most of the remaining work to be done on the car.

9. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    Why LS7? You want to have stock 505HP and no futher mods on the engine or "no replecament for displecament" philosophy?
    My best bet is to buy RHS LSx block and build engine your way rather then buy overpriced GMPP engine.

best regards

10. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It may sound kind of silly but I like the displacement, 7.0 litres translates to 427 cubic inches so I want to keep that. I was planning on changing out the cam and putting headers on it so I know I can crank the horsepower up more. It will be my daily driver so I also don't want it to be too outrageous but I definitely want the ability to to make her move when I need her to.