Project Girasol

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da-bigguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, still a bit ways to go before it starts coming together, I need to finish tearing the body down and get it media blasted so I can see just how much steel needs to be replaced in the back end.

On the plus side, I did finally get into the garage today and did some welding on the subframe mount repairs I've been working on. No pics as the welds look REALLY ugly so I will need to clean them up before I am willing to show off the work! I really need to get the gas bottle to go in my MIG welder instead of using the fluxcore wire. I do plan on spending time in the garage in the evenings after work so hopefully will make some good progress and will have pics to post.

Jas0n likes this.
  2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Nice to hear you are getting back on it, I've definitely been there before. It helps to do small, manageable tasks to get back into the swing of things.

Remind me how the job situation is going. You landed a new gig, right?

3. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, I will definitely be working on small projects to keep things moving forward.

The job situation isn't too bad. I'm at the same company but we had a round of layoffs last year and the work really dried up for us so for me, with the new house we bought two years ago and the reduction in offshore work, the budget got squeezed fairly hard. However, I did just finish two trips over to Ghana, a total of 3 months offshore so things are looking much better now and there are signs the offshore oil industry is starting to pick up. We've got another job about to kick off down in Brazil but not sure if I will be going on that one. Our local office down there, what is left of it, is running it although we are doing all the engineering since they don't have the manpower to handle it. They may be providing the offshore engineering support in which case I won't be going.

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Glad to hear things are looking up. I think 2017 is going to be another sluggish year but headed in the right direction as you see some consolidation and price stability. $100 crude and $8 nat gas are gone for a while, so E&P had to adjust to the new reality.

5. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I agree, 2017 is still going to be sluggish but there are hints of movement in my neck of the woods. We do have repair and maintenance opportunities that are helping us keep busy so that is a plus. Of course, new developments with big mooring systems to install are best but it will be awhile before I think we will see any of those.

6. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Unfortunately it looks like my project is going to be hitting the brakes for awhile. I just got laid off this past Friday, along with about 30 other people in the company in both Houston and Louisiana. I do have some prospects for contract work I am chasing up but money is definitely going to be kept on a very tight leash until things settle down. On the plus side I may have time to go back and redo all my pics here now that Photophuket has bolluxed things up for us!

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sorry to hear about your job. In the interim, there are always small things to chase down like wiring, cleaning and painting small parts and other nick knacks. Sometimes that stuff takes the most time and it still moves your project forward.

8. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, unfortunately this is the way the offshore oil industry seems to work and unfortunately this time I got caught. I do have some prospects for contract work plus a severance package so I will be okay for awhile and will hopefully get some money coming in the door before too long.

I was thinking I would work on some small stuff like that. I also have a few other small projects for the car I can work on that won't cost anything since I already have the parts for them.

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Sorry to hear that. i worked in the oilfield back in the 90's. It is brutal sometimes.

10. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    [QUOTE="Da-bigguy, Photophuket

Just fell off my chair laughing, good one bigguy!!

Da-bigguy likes this.