Project Girasol

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da-bigguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, I thought it was a great buy and hopefully (knock on wood!) not too many hidden surprises! I do know that the seat pan under the driver and passenger seat as well as the trunk pan needs to be replaced and probably the right rear quarter as there is evidence it took a hit. I hope to have it cleaned off before the end of the summer so I can start to plan the rebuild in greater detail.

2. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Some new options now available to consider

I need some advice. I have the current fairly rough chasis sitting in my garage for my project but now I have a line on a rolling chasis that appears to be ready to go to paint for $3,500 and what looks to be a running 71 Camaro in the original paint code 72 (Sunflower yellow) that they are asking $8,800 for. Are either of those good prices?

The running one definately needs to be repainted and I have no idea yet on what body work will be needed but it looks to be an all #s matching 350. Since I do have plans to re-engine and redo the interior anyways, I'm not sure what is the best way to go. There is the option of keeping the running one going while I work on getting the other engine ready.

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

3. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    A bit of a change in direction! I came across another 71 Camaro on ebay that is in much better shape than my current one so with the wife's permission, I bought it. I've attached some pics of it just after it was delivered to my house from California. Overall it looks to be in very good shape. It does have a cowl induction hood and spoilers that I will be looking to get rid of, along with the roll cage. A previous owner was setting it up for drag racing but I plan on making it a street car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Looks solid to me, should save you plenty of fab time, looks like the worst part is where the roll cage was put through. I'm not a massive fan of the cowl hoods either, much prefer the clean lines of the stock hood. Are you keeping the other car for parts?

Let the project begin!

5. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The new one came with lots of new parts so I will be selling the other car. I agree, I think the cuts made for the roll cage is the worst. There is also a plate riveted in the driver's foot well that needs to be checked out but the one I already had needed both sides replaced as well so I'm definately ahead on the body work!

I have a coworker who is interested in the first Camaro I picked up so hopefully it will be gone in a few weeks. Once that is done, I will have room to start working on the new one! Right now there isn't enough room in my garage for anything other than the two Camaros sitting there!

6. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Quick update

It looks like I may have someone to buy the other Camaro, another co-worker is interested and will get back to me on Monday so hopefully I will soon have space to get started on my project.

Time to start collecting the parts I need! Anyone have a stock 71 hood in like new condition laying around doing nothing?? ;)

7. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. hoov81

hoov81 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    kenosha, WI
    Solid looking project. I like the wheels.

Good luck

Rich

9. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks Rich, I'm really looking forward to getting into the work once I have the space in the garage. I can see my credit cards getting a pretty good work out in the next few weeks as I start ordering parts!

10. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Cave City, Arkansas
    Goodluck with your build! Are you gonna keep the new 71 a 4 speed or change it to an auto too?