Project Girasol

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Da-bigguy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Here is the start of my plan to do up my 71 garage queen. I bought it off ebay a number of years ago for ~$750 and am finally (almost!) ready to get started on it. Here are some pics of it as it currently sits below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the right rear quarter took a hit at one point so I'm keen to remove the layers of paint and bondo to see how bad it actually is. Any tips on how to do that at home? I had planned to get it dunked and primed this summer but after a discussion with the boss, that plan has been shelved for three years while we pay off the mortgage. Just to let you all know, that means progress will probably be slow for the next couple of years.

2. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    Good luck and keep us posted. BTW...I'll gladly give you your $750.00 back if you decide not to build it ;) .

3. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, I will definately keep everyone posted. I've already got two other standing offers for the car but I will certainly add you to the waiting list!:D

4. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Hit it with a da sander and some 40 grit.

5. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Berkshire, England - UK
    Looks like a great project! I see the engine bay is empty, what plans have you got for the motor? I had my shell blasted which took everything back to bare metal and did away with all the rust. I know you cant get into the hidden areas like the rockers but you can get 95% of the car this way, may be a cheaper alternative to dipping?

I also see in your sig that you have a 77 Midget! I bet they look odd parked next to each other!

All the best.

6. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Cowman,
    Thanks, I've been following your build and it is amazing!! Right now I'm probably going to go with an LSx engine and matching auto transmission. Then again there are times when I look at some of the crate motor BBC and start to drool. As they say...."There is no replacement for cubic inches". On those days I consider the monstor 572 I've seen advertised at various places. Fortunately a look at the sticker price brings me back to earth! My one requirement is that whatever I put in has to fit under a stock hood, no cowl induction or anything.

I looked at blasting and got a quote from one shop here in Houston for $5,500, including acid etch and expoxy primer. Shortly after that, I found a shop in Dallas that will do a chemical (eco-friendly) dip and epoxy primer for just under $3,000 so I will probably go that route as I think it will get all the rust in the out of the way places.

I think they look great sitting next to each other. The MG was my mother's car so a huge sentimental value there. It's funny, when I've had the garage door open, I've had people ask if it is a Porsche!

Cheers

7. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Some good old elbow grease action will do me some good!

8. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Ponce, Puerto Rico
    Welcome!! I like your project name.
    This hobby are making are wallets bleed alot, the first thing that I learned with my project was to do everything that I can by myself. You can use $300for sandpapers and sanding tools and do it yourself, and keep the $2700 for other things you will need in your project, thats my best advice.

9. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks, I got the name from the colour I plan on painting it, 71 Sunflower yellow. Girasol is Spanish for Sunflower and Project Girasol sounds better than Project Sunflower!

I'm beginning to agree that doing it by hand would be a good way to start. That will also force me to start building up my collection of tools that I know I'm going to need. Right now I have just a few standard tools and a tiny air compressor I bought at Home Depot. Up to now, life has kept me from getting started on this so I've decided it is time to stop procrastinating and get started on doing things I've wanted to do for years!

Cheers!

10. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    Welcome... Cant wait to see you make some progress. Not bad buy for 750.00.