Project Deadpool

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 70Chev, Jan 1, 2015.

1. snipescastle2

snipescastle2 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    San Diego,California
    That’s a gorgeous car you have there! I restored a ‘69 Camaro back in 1988 and it was a huge undertaking for someone with no body work experience to speak of.
    What’s really interesting about my resto, I replaced both rear quarters myself, without the doors hung....
    Most body guys would cringe hearing that, as it would be very hard to line up the body lines without the doors in place. But, it turned out great, but I’ve learned a lot from that resto. I jus finished doing a frame off resto on a 1971 Short bed, Fleetside Chevy. I wanted one since high school and could never find one I could afford. I bought this one as a “basket case” (same as my ‘69) and just took everything piece by piece and fixed the rust or bought the best rust free factory panels I could find. I did everything except final paint and block sanding ( just didn’t have the time or facility to do this) and the transmission, which my brother in law built for me(700R4 built) I built the 383 stroker engine myself, and put rear disc brakes on it, factory air and lowered it 4 1/2” in front, 5” in the rear. It has a 12 bolt positraction with 3:73 gears, it’ll “pass everything but a gas station” I’ll try and post a picture later.
    Congrats on a beautiful Camaro!
    Ben Smith

2. rallycamaro

rallycamaro New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Poquoson, VA
    Darren,

Do the gauges fit in the stock bezels?

Thanks,

Rally

3. Jonathan Alexander

Jonathan Alexander New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Snoqualmie, WA
    I'm new to the forum (in the posting sense), but I just installed my new Dakota Digital VHX gauges a week (almost same as Darren's other than black background instead of carbon) or so ago on my 1980 Camaro Z28. I would say based on my car and the gauge designs, these will fit all stock bezels from 70-81. I want a new or better bezel, but I'm having a hard time justifying one right now.

4. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    That thing looks sweet, I've been giving thought to mine going silver when it gets painted, threat will be way down the road.
    I bought the Dakota dash as well, hoping to hook that up around Christmas.
    Keep up the great work, looks awesome.
    Fleet

5. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Rally, yes they fit in perfectly. Here's some photos with the stock gauge bezel.

Dakota 1.jpg

Darren

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    71RSLS likes this.
  6. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I've loved building this thing up and doing it just the way I want it. I've spent WAY more than i anticipated, but I don't regret it one bit.

Darren

7. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    They look great in there! I wish I would have gone with them on my car.

8. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi guys,

Have been waiting for my cold air induction kit to arrive and I fitted it today. I think it looks great. I wanted something different and wanted it more for show rather than performance, but we'll see how it goes.

What do you guys think?

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG

Thanks for checking in.

Darren

71RSLS likes this.
  9. MP81

MP81 Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Been looking at the Dakota Digital cluster myself (I'd like to go with the HDX - the LCD screens really would add that perfect touch of modern to the exterior patina that I want), and based on the instructions, it looks quite...simple...to install. I'm assuming this was the case?

Was the speedo easy to setup? My speedo stopped working for like...the fifth time, so I am absolutely done with the mechanical speedo cable - sick of it not working, or if it is working, wondering if it will disconnect again (the last time it stopped working, it was connected securely everywhere, not broken, and yet, not working - I'm guessing it did the same thing this time), so I want the peace of mind that the new cluster and electric feed will give me.

10. 71RSLS

71RSLS New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Very nice work! I like the new air cleaner set up too. I have VHX gauges in my 72 K30 and am considering putting them in my 71 Camaro since I'm going with a 5.3. I got the gps sender for my speedo in the K30 but haven't gotten around to installing it. I sure like the gauges but man can they get expensive if you start adding bim modules and other sensors to them.