Project Deadpool

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 70Chev, Jan 1, 2015.

1. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd post up a build up thread on my car. It's a 70 Camaro. I bought the car in late 2012 following a marriage breakup and it gave me something to focus on at the time. I bought it and wanted to drive it for 2 years before starting a tear down and build. Have done that and recently had it at the drags for the first time and have been having an absolute blast with the car.

Well, rego ran out a few days ago and I've been accumulating parts for a while, so now is the time. I've posted a couple of photos and from a distance the car doesn't look too bad. But the paint is bad, the rear right quarter has rivets in it etc. I also want to do the interior and motor. It has a fairly fresh 350 crate vortec which goes pretty well. However, I want to stroke it, cam it and see where it takes me from there.

Camaro 1.jpeg

Camaro 2.jpeg

I plan to do as much of the work as I can myself. I haven't done anything on this scale before, but am keen to learn and have a body guy help with welding etc. I've given myself 12 months for the build, and the tear down starts next week. Wish me luck. I'll post pictures as work progresses.

By the way, I was telling my 13 year old son that I wanted to find a name for the car and he said it reminds him of the comic character Deadpool. Deadpool is a fictional character, a mercenary and anti-hero appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Deadpool's superpower is to regenerate himself when he gets injured or damaged. I kind of liked the idea, and I'm sticking with the current red and black colour scheme, the same colours as Deadpool.

Any tips and hints along the way are most welcomed.

Thanks

Darren

2. zhedding

zhedding Veteran Member

May 17, 2013
    decatur, illinois
    hello, your car looks great just how it sits! cant wait to see the improvements.

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I will be following this build! Great way to name the car also!

4. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Tear down begins

OK, so started the tear down today. Spent around 5 hours pulling the front panels off, which I've never done before so I had a ball. Kept a journal, took lots of photos and catalogued them all, and have the parts stored away for stripping back later this week.

I was really pleased with what I have so far. No rust in the cowl panel thingys (sorry guys, don't know what they are actually called but the part behind the front guards in front of the doors) and only a little bit of rust in one of the front guards. Not bragging, as I know I've got rust in the rear quarters and trunk drop offs that need replacing.

Camaro Cowl.jpg
    Inside front guard 1.jpg
    Rust inside front guard.jpg

What I did find though was that whoever put the front end together last, used so many different types of bolts, I don't think there were two the same. The car also used to be white. I haven't actually decoded the trim tag yet to see what the factory colour was, but it doesn't matter, cranberry red it is with black Z stripes.

So this is where I got to today. Looking fwd to now starting at the rear and continuing the tear down.
    As it sits.jpg

Darren

5. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Looking good

6. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2013
    fort worth tex
    70 chev

Darren welcome to nasty. You will get even more excited as you go especially when you get to the point of paint. I too thought I could do it in a year might be hard depending on how far you go and have a lot of time every week. Hope you can I spent many hours researching and findining parts then waiting for ups to bring them. I had never built a car like this so dont get dicouraged and ask for help here everyone here can and will help you.I will be following your build. Gary

7. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Nice 70. Welcome. Looks clean.

8. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks Gary. Yes, I've had many people tell me it will take longer than a year, and who knows, but if i don't set myself a target, I won't work to a timeline and before I know it, I'll be three years down the track.

My intention at this stage isn't to go radical, just tidy up the car inside and out and put it back together. Famous last words hey??

Thanks for the support

Darren

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Very nice car. will follow.

10. falcon4

falcon4 Member

Nice looking car mate! Welcome!

Jon