Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    This week has not been very productive. I was able to clean up the shifter hole in my floorpan. It was pretty hacked up from many years worth of different transmissions and I am tired of smelling like exhaust every time I drive the car because the boot I was using to cover the hole is pretty terrible. So, I cut out a small section from a 6speed 4th gen camaro and welded that into my car. Now I have a factory looking shifter hole that I can use a factory boot cover without any worries. Some of you will probably notice that the hole is cut back far enough that I actually cut part of the floor pan brace. This was done many years ago when I cut the hole for the T56 and I plan on bracing it as much as possible when I'm under the car doing the sub frame connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I have been able to get started on installing the DSE subframe connectors. I am completely impressed with their products, but their instructions SUCK!!! Even their installation video doesn't match the written instructions. This was the same with the mini tubs. There is alot of figuring stuff out as you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    What , you didn't find the little cut out templates and the backwards instructions helpful? HAA HA

4. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I was bored tonight and I really needed to get my stroker parts ordered so I can get the engine to the machine shop, so I just dropped $3K for the 408 stroker parts from summit. I got the crank, rods, pistons, rings, oil pump, stud kit, and timing chain, all fully forged of course. I am going to copy the Iron Animal 408 build from the Engine Power show for the bottom end but I'll go a different direction for the heads and cam since I am planning on supercharging the engine. Unfortunately, I think I'm done buying cheap parts :-(

On a side note, I am converting the engine from a 24x to a 54x controller. I know this will require a pcm change and some harness mods but i'm going to tear apart the harness anyway, and the 58x controller will allow me to use the dbw throttle body.

5. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Boredom, sounds like it helped you make progress, so it was a good thing!

6. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Fullerton, CA
    Cheap parts may get you down the road for a bit... but if you want big reliable power, you gotta get the good stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

7. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I was referring to the fact that I am pretty much done buying small parts (cheap). Most of the stuff now is gonna be pricey and it’s gonna come in big chunks.

8. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Along with the engine parts, I have also ordered the LS style bellhousing and tomorrow I will order the Rockland Standard Gear input shaft conversion kit along with their upgraded shift forks and pads. Once I get the trans parts I can test fit everything and get the transmission mount fabricated, get the pinion angle set, and test fit the hydroboost and inner fenders to make sure everything clears.

9. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    So today was another expensive and good day. I got all of my engine parts delivered and I order my Rockland Standard Gear LS conversion for my LT1 T56, along with the carbon syncro rings, upgraded shift forks and pads, and bearing and seal kit. Either way, it's still cheaper than buying the T56 Magnum I was going to buy.

I was also able to get the garage cleaned out and got the underside of the car cleaned up and measured for the passenger side sub frame connector. I'll get that knocked out tomorrow and then move back to the front crossmember so I can redo the notch for the AC compressor that has the nasty welds.

10. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi,
    So there is a rebuild kit, for the T56 to make them more bullet proof? Do you have a link to that information, or how it was researched , as I am interested.
    Thanks