Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Got the frame boxed back in this afternoon. Some of the inside corners got a bit ugly so I'll have to do some more grinding on those. I also made the bracket to hold the wiper motor in it's new location. I'll post those pics tomorrow when I get the nuts welded on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Looking good, I did the same thing to clear my AC compressor. I just wasn't willing to give up the comfort out here in the desert. I'm sure it makes some people cringe but it's well worth the comfort for me.

3. Yooper1

Yooper1 New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Wow! Everything is coming together nicely! Love checking in on what your doing. Awesome job!

4. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I've been out of town all week so I didn't get anything done until today. I was finally able to finish my new wiper motor relocation. I haven't modified the trasnmission arms yet, but the motor is mounted and solid. Some of you may notice the washer nozzles are a bit high in relation to the cowl. I placed the motor a tad too high so now the nozzles hit the fender. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this but I really only have two choices, don't use the washer pump or use a remote mount reservoir and pump. This is not a high priority decision so I'll figure something out later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    It's been a while since I posted. I've been out of town for a week and I really haven't gotten much done. The last thing I got done was to mount the wiper motor in its new location. I have spent a number of hours trying to get the linkage correct and I think I finally got it done today. I'll post up some pics tomorrow of what needs to be done and how to make sure everything lines up.

6. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    For those of you that are thinking about relocating your wiper motor, I would say you should think long and hard. I thought I had the linkage figure out but it kept binding in high speed so I had to adjust it a bit more, and every time I adjust something, it throws something else off, which usually resulted in it hitting the cowl and making a god awful racket. So, after several more hours, I finally got it. The biggest issue is not just making sure you relocate it at the same height as the original mounting, but you also have to make sure it's clocked appropriately so it will park correctly. This is the problem I had. As you can see from my pics above I welded my bracket clocked a bit too much clockwise. At the end of it all, I ended up adding right about 22" of length to the transmission arm and used the small slider on the ball joint to get my fine adjustments dialed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  7. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    While I was in the welding mood, I decided to fill in the grill looking thing on the dash panel. I'm not sure why it's even there. I supposed maybe for a speaker but there aren't any mounting tabs underneath so I'm at a loss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Blk+Orange79Z28

Blk+Orange79Z28 Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Great thread, yeah mine has a speaker there it had the weirdest mounting tabs i never really figured out how it mounted but it did. Its a tiny center speaker anyway.

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    No offence but that’s a pretty important structural area that’s worth getting a certified or pro welder to do. I’d also try reduce the number of welded joints by making a card template and getting a shop to fold up x1 piece for you and welding it up on the bench.

Also try to avoid fillet welds on external corners wherever possible, extending the patch to give lap or butt joints instead. Those x2 longer welds on the crossmember are going to lose all of their strength once they’re ground back and linished

10. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    No offense taken. I'm not very happy with how that turned out and I have decided to redo it and get rid of as many right angles as possible. Once I get the frame off the car, I'll focus on that area and get it more refined.