Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    After many hours of searching for AC hoses that look like they may work, I ordered up a set from RockAuto. They are for an 05 Vette and look like they should hug the compressor and keep the frame cutting to a minimum. I'll keep ya'll updated on the status.

2. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Got my AC hoses today and made a good step forward towards getting the engine set in with all of the clearances correct. Of course the hoses didn't fit perfectly but they were much closer than I thought. I still had to cut out some of the frame, but not as much as I thought.
    This is the hoses with no cutting of the frame...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following pics may make some of you cringe!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now everything fits (kind of)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I say kind of because the headers now interfere with the lower control arm mount on the passenger side and the motor mount on the driver side. Unfortunately, because I modified the adapter plates, it shifted the position of the engine just enough to cause some slight clearance issues.

Passenger side rubbing...

[​IMG]

Here is the ground clearance I said I would check when I mounted the headers again. Not too bad...

[​IMG]

Here is the driver motor mount modified to allow the downpipe to fit. I still need to clean it up and get rid of the right angle cuts. I will also probably dimple the header just a bit to ensure I have enough clearance when the motor torques to the side.

[​IMG]

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    WOW, thats some cutting, and for AC, however, I guess if you live in a warm area, you sort of have to have it, and engine masters did an episode on bashed in headers, and found that you can beat them in without much change at all, so other then the beautiful headers getting some dents, it should not effect the header .

5. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    AC is a must in the summer. It’s really not a lot of cutting, especially since it will be welded back up and reinforced. You can’t be afraid to cut anything when doing custom work. Besides, if I go too far then that gives me a good excuse to look at buying an aftermarket front clip

6. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    HAA HA, yes I understand the AC, and the repairs to the cut section, could end up actually being stronger that the original !!

7. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I spent all day running errands and cleaning out the garage so I didn't get much done. However, I outsourced some work on my hood and got this picture today so at least there is progress. My plan for the hood is to get rid of the vent area at the base of the hood and then move the scoop about 2" back and then mold it into the hood so it's seamless. The inner structure of the hood is also going to get cleaned up. Whoever put this scoop on many years ago did a total hack job so now I have to clean it up. Sorry for the blur, this was taken on an older iPhone.

[​IMG]

8. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Well, this has been an exciting week. I got my DSE subframe connectors on Tuesday but that's not all that impressive. However, an opportunity came knocking I absolutely could not pass it up. So, as of yesterday, this is now sitting in my garage!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the 2016 Gen V LT1 out of a Z51 vette with 10K miles. I scored this for just over $5K. It's 99% complete, only missing the throttle body and DBW pedal assembly. I'm not sure if I am going to switch gears and install this motor or if it will go in my 86 when I'm done with this project. Either way, I am definitely going to test fit it to see how it looks.

Yooper1 likes this.
  9. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
  10. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I tried fitting the new Gen V LT1 this morning. I wasn't expecting it to drop right in, especially since the motor mounts are different from the LS engines. I was able to get it sort of placed with the hoist and some jack stands just so I could see what would have to change if I use this motor. Starting from the driver side, it looks like the factory oil cooler will clear the frame, but the oil cooler lines will most likely interfere with the centerlink. On the passenger side, things got a little bit more interesting. The notch I made in the crossmember for the LS engine actually works to allow the LT1 AC compressor sit in its original location, but, there is a pressure switch on the bottom of the compressor which would mean more cutting of the crossmember. And, the accessory bracket on the passenger side hits the upper control arm. It looks like if I were to use the LT1, I would have no choice but to use an aftermarket accessory system, especially since I would have to add the power steering pump, and I would have to buy or make new headers to fit my frame. I think I'm going to stick with the 6.0L since I've already done the fab work to get it fit the way I want it. I'll use the LT1 in my 86 once this project finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018