Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    It's been just over a month since my last post and we are fully moved into the new house. Unfortunately, due to travel for work and drama with the old house, I haven't been able to do anything on the car. I got an electrician out this past Friday to run some new outlets for my compressor and "workbench." As you can see from the pics, there is still a lot of crap in the way and I am trying to find a place for all of my stuff. My last house has a shed in the backyard so I am without that extra storage space. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will allow me to get everything put away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Today marks the first time in a couple of months I have been able to work on the car. I was able to finish the driver fender extension and start making the patch for the rusted cowl area near the VIN tag. Eventhough I welded the fender extension to the fender, it still had a quite a bit of flex so I made some filler pieces and welded the front and rear gaps closed. It's now much more solid and I won't have to worry about the paint cracking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Great work, love the rims, and I like shaved handles , I just wish , they were easy for someone like me, no welding talent, to install , so I just when through all 19 pages of your build, WOW, I was just in for the door handle stuff, and I missed on voting, so I wanted to see what happened, WOW, so, why do you think those items fell to the bottom of the quarter panel , the chain and stuff, slid down the crease ? Talk about chasing rust, I thought cars in the south didn't rust, just baked, I used that wet sand blasting, will be posting the entire build all at once , and it worked well no heat, no warp , I wish I lived closer to you as you have such mad skills, well and your friends as well, and I would be asking questions, sucks that you move so much, however, with a 3 car garage this should work out well !! and my vote is still SHAVED, put your mad skill's mark on that damn car and let everyone know, every where they look , was a change , subtle , but there, and there , and there....HAA HA , and I might of missed it, seeing as how it is no color any longer, what color are you going with??

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    For now, I am not going to shave the door handles. I'm trying to get all of the other little things done. January will be 1 year that I have been working on this car and I wanted to have it done by November and it is nowhere near being done. I haven't come up with a color yet. I do know it will be a really dark metallic red, dark metallic blue, or something similar to the cyber grey on the C7 vettes. Once i get the car primed and final sanded, I'll spray some test panels with different colors and see which one looks better.

5. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I was hoping to have my TIG welder up and running today but that didn't happen so I had to finish my cowl panel patch with my MIG welder. It's not pretty but it got the job done. Gonna have to do a little bit more grinding but it'll work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    While I'm not proud of the welding job, I was able to clean up the cowl patch and get it smoothed out today. I don't think that area needs to be show quality so I didn't spend a lot of time on it because it is covered with the windshield and a-pillar molding. I've also decided to take a more methodical approach to this instead of jumping all over the car. I am pretty much done with the driver fender, the cowl is ready for final primer, the driver door is new and doesn't need any bodywork. I am now stripping the driver door jamb area and getting that ready for primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Progress is good!

8. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    OK, so watching you do alll this work makes me glad, after sanding for 45 minutes and just getting down to metal on a 18"x!8" area, I called the mobile wet sandblasting rig, guys, and had them do my car, took 10 hours , should have taken 6 , problems with the machine , there was no more paint, and they spray it with a metal preserver , so you can get it primed, best $750.00 I ever spent!!

9. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I never thought about a mobile sandblaster. I don't mind the manual labor stripping paint but it would have definitely been worth getting somebody out to blast the car. I was actually thinking about that yesterday while doing the door jamb.

10. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Ya, trust me didn't take long to do an internet search , call them set a time spread out a large tarp, and let them go, I will be posting pictures of the whole restore, from start to finish, once complete, However , trust me , it was the best money I ever spent !!