Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    My flush mount side marker kit finally came in Thursday afternoon. I was able to get the passenger side started yesterday. The kit is fairly simple but and I hope the final product is worth it. I honestly think most people will never even notice. I learned my lesson on this side with fitting and welder settings so the driver side will go much quicker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I thought you were going to weld in the seam,shoulda guessed

3. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Bodywork is done on the passenger side. In case anybody wants to do this mod in the future, be sure to weld the inner structure as well. Simply welding the outside seem still allows for quite a bit of flex.

[​IMG]

4. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Got both marker lights welded and filled so I decided to move on to the rust in the windshield area. As you can see, it's not a small problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've started making some patch panels for this area but I don't have any rust inhibitor so I need to wait until I can treat this area before I start putting good metal on top of it. I should be able to get it done tomorrow.

5. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I've added a poll to this thread to help me decide if I should shave the door handles or not. I'm not leaning either way. On the one hand I know it will look clean and most people are afraid to do it, and on the other hand it's several hours worth of labor that I will have invest.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Bummer, that's a crappy surprise. I had to deal with the same thing, it's a pretty important area structurally so would be a good idea to cut away more of the dash/cowl layer and replace all the layers of rusty metal underneath.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I vote no for doors since they are brand new

8. CarJunky81

CarJunky81 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    canada
    where did you get those side lights they are going to look sick! your rebuilds going great

9. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Looking really sharp, nice job on the light conversion. I vote to keep the door handles, I think some kind of door handle really breaks up the big doors even of you go custom. I do think they look a lot cleaner with shaved locks though. I originally was thinking of molding in some GTR handles with the flush look but they were just to hard to find and expensive for me to attempt the conversion and not be 100% happy with them.

10. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    So unfortunately I have a good news bad news situation. The bad news is we close on our new house this Friday so all car work is going to cease for the next two or three weeks while we pack and move. The good news is that the new house garage is a true 3 car wide setup with an extra work space that already has cabinets and counter space installed. So, I will have plenty of room without having to keep rolling the car around my current garage. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'll be back online in a few weeks.