Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I had a friend come over and help get the hood back on the car so I could start setting the hood gaps since so much has been replaced. They look really good. I am in the process of adjusting the core support to move the front of the fenders just slightly. The photos show how close the gaps are and how well everything lines up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Who wants to guess what's about to happen here?

[​IMG]

3. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Before I finish the welding and start bodywork, I wanted to change up the marker light. I found these on an old hot rod website. It's a kit that includes the plate that gets welded to the panel and a 7/8 x 4" LED light. Once they arrive I'll trim it fit the existing hole and finish weld everything.

[​IMG]

Twisted72 likes this.
  4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    What did youre hood gaps measure out to be? Mine are at .22-.24 ". Modern twist with lights. Clean look.

5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I really like those side market lights. I'm a huge fan of suttle mods like that, IMO it gives the build character. I wish I would have gotten an idea like that. ☺

6. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Right now, they are between 1/4 and 3/8". I haven't finished adjusting the core support so that will square things up when everything is done.

7. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    My ElectricLife power windows came in today.

[​IMG]

8. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Awesome project, awesome skills. Look forward to seeing how this project progresses!

9. 1981LT1

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    I'm waiting for my marker lights to come in so I can't do much with the fender extensions. I spent a little bit of time in the garage today and installed the electric window assembly, put together my welding cart, and decided to fix a small issue with the hood and fender clearance. It's hard to see in the pictures but the fender actually bows up a bit. You can actually feel it.

[​IMG]

This picture shows what I call the "buckling" of the fender when they assembled it. It's super hard to tell from the pic but you can see the metal isn't smooth right at the cutout for the hood bumper.

[​IMG]

Instead of cutting the top of the fender and making a huge amount of work for myself, I decided to drill out the spot welds and try to push the top of the fender back down. Unfortunately the fender is thinner than I thought so it caused a small warp. Nothing that can't be fixed with some filler but I was hoping to be able to get away with an easy fix. You can see the low spot created from sanding the EDP to prep for the body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. wildkarde

wildkarde New Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Ardmore, OK
    Very nice work man, seriously impressed.

As for the AC compressor issue, the GM cars and later trucks use a variable displacement compressor, instead of cycling on and off to control pressures, it varies how much it pumps. These types of pumps can cause issues with systems that use expansion valves instead of orifice tubes. Some people have no issues with the compressors and vintage air systems, some say they don't cool as well.

If you do a google search for "variable displacement compressor with vintage air" there is tons of info out there. Apparently, at least with the older camaro and vette compressors you can modify the compressor to be fixed displacement.