Project '80 Z has Begun......

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange Terror, Apr 16, 2007.

1. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Congratulations on the divorce, some of us can only dream of having the free time you will get to enjoy. Just kidding, good to see you get to start into a nice project. It is fun to restore and go through the whole car to end up with a nice ride. Never sell.

2. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    I've been doing some work lately and while my time working on it is sporadic and in short stints (usually while my daughter is napping while my wife is at work) I am however taking every opportunity I get to work on the car. Had to do some cleaning and re-organizing in the garage so I had room too. So I've got some parts laid out, making some decisions, and I've got a pretty clear cut direction decided on somethings now which I will divulge more as I get to them.

Keep in mind, this is a budget build (because I'm so broke I can't pay attention right now) and my goal is to get the car on the road so I can enjoy it this summer and every summer from here on and do major repairs/upgrades each winter 1 at a time as finances and time allow, all the while having it back together in the spring each year and hopefully in a few years it will look as good as some of the other cars here.

With all that said, here's a pic of some recent work cleaning and painting, its not done, but it's getting there.

[​IMG]

3. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Alright so this week has seen what I think are some significant advances in progress that I hope will continue as I am planning to have the motor and tranny in by mid April. I had to re-focus on what was really necessary to get the car on the road as that is my primary goal, get it drivable, upgrade and repair each winter. That way I'm not sitting without a Camaro for the next 10-20 years, it may not look like much for awhile, but dammit I will be driving it.

Anyway, I had been planning to sandblast the entire underside, which time and other things had held up doing anything else for about 6 weeks now until I got to it. Realizing my goal is to drive the car and the cost and time involved in blasting the underside being a very large investment not to mention the inevitable can of worms that will be opened in doing so, I've decided to table it for a year or 2 and do it as a winter project when I replace the floorboards. I put the car up on jackstands and did a fairly thorough inspection. everything appears to be intact pretty much like it was 8 years ago when I last drove it, thanks largely in part to it being stored inside at least. I'm sure its deteriorated some, but I've driven worse, and I feel confident the car is safe, just a little rust. Thanks to a lot of oil leaking from the engine and tranny before I got the car, the engine tunnel has been extremely well protected under about 1/8" of grime. To bad it didn't make it all the way back, lol.

So, now its on, here's what has happened this week.

Finished installing new steering column. It was bolted to the firewall but that was it. Took the steering wheel off, pulled it apart and changed out the ignition cylinder so that the original one I have a key for is now in. Thus the steering shaft ends were connected, I can now steer the car again.

Did some more painting. Trying to make this thing look as decent as possible.

The car always had a pretty good shimmy when you hit the brakes, so the front rotors came off, will either be turned or replaced along with a bearing or 2. Good thing I took them off, wasn't squat for grease and the inner lip seals were toast.

Here's a pic of it at the moment.

[​IMG]

4. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Can somebody move this to the project forum?

5. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Good to see some progress. Keep knocking off the smaller jobs and get it put back together so you can drive it. I need to make a list of the things that I need to get done. Otherwise you get over whelmed and just look at it wondering where to start.