Project '80 Z has Begun......

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange Terror, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Houston. TX
    Wow I envy you. My camaro is just sitting at home in the driveway rotting away while I'm stuck in Korea. :whine: Oh well, I do get to fly in blackhawks so I guess it's not all bad.

Good luck with that car, I can't wait till I get back to the states to really start on mine!

2. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    I'm sure blackhawks are fun, lol.

3. RSGray73

RSGray73 Veteran Member

looks like you are making some good progress. keep this thread updated with pics. and I love the valve covers. they are by far my favorite style of any I have ever seen. i just need to get me a pair now.

4. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Well unfortunately those have to go back, he was going to put different ones on it just hadn't gotten to it. Seeing as he's family, I'll let him have them, lol.

5. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Just for fun, I thought I'd tell you guys what replaced this motor in his Corvette. He's in his early 60's and decided he's got the money, why not have a lot of power to play with while he still can.

He had Performance Engineering build him a 434 CI Small block using a Dart block and heads. The entire rotating assembly is forged, its right around 10.5:1. 4.00" stroke, 4.155" bore. Not sure of the exact cam specs but its a very healthy full roller valvetrain with hydraulic lifters. I believe it has a single plane Holley intake. On top of that it has a nice 850 cfm dual feed, dual pump manual secondary Holley Carb. MSD ignition, 1-7/8" primary headers dumping to 3" collectors out to 4" sidepipes. It sounds very good.

Oh and he had it dyno tuned before he picked it up, 504 hp at 5500 RPM's and 549 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 RPM's.

Not to bad if you ask me.

6. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Brewsterico, New Fail
    Cool project!!! cant wait to see updates.

7. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    If you ever need a parts car, Ive got an '81 rolling chassis Im thinking of selling. Its a coupe. Good title from NC

8. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    PM sent.

9. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Little update: I got another crossmember that hopefully is the right one (its supposed to be. $25 on ebay. (Much thanks to 72BIGBLOCK for finding it!!!)

For those that didn't see what happened go to this thread. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113915

So, I hope with the weather warming and now that I have the crossmember I can get under the car and clean it up soon and then get the motor & tranny in. should be fun. Hope to have more updates soon.

Mods: Can this be moved to the project forum?

10. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Just realized I hadn't updated this in some time. So here it is, all in one shot, lol.

This past fall I pulled the engine out of the car (was just sitting in there temporarily anyway). Put it on the stand, cleaned it up, rolled the car out, put the new steering column in, did some rearranging in the garage for winter. Next on the list is to take the firebird steering wheel off and change out the ignition cylinder to the old one as I don't have a key to this one. This hasn't happened yet. Hopefully soon.

Here's pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]